• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights do they have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gastepdad

What is the name of your state? GA
I work in an IT enviroment, and the company I work for just lost a huge contract at the site I am at. All techs were told there were no positions available at any other site and that their information would be forwarded to the company taking the contract. We were told that effective immediately, no one could use their earned vacation, and they would lose what vacation they had effective the end of the month (when the contract is up). They are only considering (not committing to paying) severance to those who are not offered a position with the new company. I understand that severance is left to the discretion of the employer, but can they say that we can't use the vacation earned, and then not even pay it out? What leg do we have to stand on? What are the laws in Georgia regarding this? And what about medical insurance? Is there a certain amount of time we are allowed the insurance or is COBRA the only option? :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Neither Federal nor Georgia law requires that they pay out vacation time at termination or that they allow you to use the vacation time when it is not convenient for them. So yes, they can say that; you have no leg to stand on; there are no laws in Georgia that cover this.

How long you may retain your health insurance is a matter of your insurance plan document, not law. About 50% of the time in my experience, insurance ends on the last day of work; the other 50% of the time it ends on the last day of the month in which is contained your last day of work. So if your last day of work is July 19, the last day of the insurance would be July 31. The law does not dictate which of the two your employer must select, but having selected one they must adhere to it and cannot change it unless they also change the plan document (which is not a short or easy process). Once the insurance ends, whether it is on the last day of work or the last day of the month, COBRA is your only option (other than finding your own insurance or going uninsured).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">