• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights does my boyfriend have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KLStevens

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years (well now X-Boyfriend). We bought our house together, but my name is the only one on the house so it is my understanding that I am the only one legally able to have it. Is this correct? Can my boyfriend come after me for the house because he has paid half the house payments or are those considered "rent"? Please help me because I am getting conflicting information. Thanks!

KLStevens

I do not have a judge in the case. We just broke up yesterday and I was wondering if he can come after me for the house.

Some Random Guy

Yes, I know. Allow me to explain the obvious.

If you don't come to a written agreement about what happens to the house, the house will remain in your name with you retaiing full ownership. Your ex- boyfriend will have to sue to try to recover any equity in the house.

And then you will get your final answer on who owns what "until the judge in the ensuing court case makes his ruling"

somajr

First....Do you have a rental agreement? No, not the one that you will make up that he never heard about. Did he think that he was making rental payments...I mean did he at least put "rent" in the notes section of his check? BTW that doesn't mean anything. I am sure the answer is NO!

Why don't you wait at least a week b4 making sure you attempt to screw over your bf. You have admitted that he made half of the payments. If he isn't an idiot you will be getting papers very soon.....If he is the dumb arse that most blind men are.....he will be home soon to make some more payments on your house.....maybe you can get him drunk and make him sign away his rights! You money hungry things make me sick!

If this was the other way around and you hadn't made any payments.....you would be here trying to figure out how to posture yourself to TAKE half or more of his house!

You are pure evil....but men are dumb! I don't know which is worse

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">