• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should be my next step?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Larry10

Michigan

I purchased a used car from what I believed to be a pretty reputable dealership in Michigan in July of this year. 2013 Nissan Altima. They have an A+ on the BBB, and 3.9 stars on Google with 234 reviews. No red flags came up, all was hunky dory.

The car is fine. I've moved out to California (part of the problem) for school, and it hasn't given me any issues.

The issue is with the sale itself. I traded in my old car, a 2010 Dodge Charger (also used) when I purchased this car. The dealership took possession of that car, I took possession of the Altima, all was great. Until I moved out here.

In September, I'm literally in the process of driving from Michigan to California, in Wyoming, when I get a call from Ally (my auto financier), telling me that if I don't make a $168.52 payment on my Charger by tomorrow (a Sunday) it will default and hit my credit. I am annoyed, but figured it was an honest mistake, and call up the auto dealer. After a run around for a couple hours, I get ahold of the guy that finalized the sale, and he tells me "Oh hey sorry, the guy that was supposed to finalize that with Ally has been in the hospital. Make that payment so that it doesn't hit your credit, we will reimburse you, and we will get this sorted out on Monday." We begin correspondence over text that lasts to this day.

I don't feel like I have much choice, so I did so.

Fast forward a couple months (now November), and this has been wash/rinse/repeat. I'm at the end of my line. I paid $168.52 for September and October, and I told him last month to send me the full payment for the entirety of the car, $5,546.95, in addition to the reimbursement for the money I had paid, that I would just pay it off, and we'd be done. He said okay.

I made another payment for $168.52 for November, and he told me he had mailed the check. I got back on campus today after Thanksgiving break. Check my mailbox, and am (pleasantly) surprised to find an envelope from the dealership! For $338 (assuming that is September and October payments I made).

I am DONE with this game. They now owe me $168.52 for a November payment I made on a car I STILL don't possess, and I still have $5,320.17 due on the Charger on the whole, that I haven't even seen since July.

I have every text message ever sent between me and the guy I was dealing with at the dealership. I have proof of sale back at my parent's house in Michigan. I am obviously in the right here. What does my next step need to be in getting this stupid situation handled?

Thanks in advance.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
When you say you "traded in the car" do you mean the trade-in value of that charger was deducted from the price of the Altima?

Seems like you should have been on contact with a manager at the dealership a long time ago.

Also, this has nothing whatsoever to do with lemon laws.

Larry10

Yes, the value of the Charger was deducted from the Altima.

I have been in contact with the manager at the dealership for quite some time. That's who I have been texting.

I apologize for the misplaced thread. If a mod could move it, it would be appreciated. Wasn't sure what boat it best fit in, but saw other used cars in this one. Obviously different context though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may wish to stop texting and start writing good old-fashioned letters, sent by certified mail. That way you have a paper trail which is much more usable in any court action than your text messages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">