• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I be compensated for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jsruba21

What is the name of your state? California

I was a remote employee for sales by a company who's headquarters are located in Tennessee. Since March 2019, I have not received any compensation for money that I have spent for onboarding process (flight to TN, hotel, rental car,etc). Even after I requested it several times with receipts attached. Are those expenses reimbursed by my former employer?

Also are car maintenance, mileage, supplies for marketing material (such as business cards, flyers, handouts, food/items expenses used during meetings, printer and ink to keep up with materials used for the company, hotel overnights (past the $80 allotment given), hours spent working after 40/hr a week, and missed lunches covered?

If my offer letter indicated the bonuses are reflected during the yearly review and I did not make the year's end, am I entitled to those bonuses for getting those client's signed?

Lastly, what should be my next steps to obtained what I am entitled to?

commentator

I'd say most of this covered or not covered expense would be dealt with in an employment contract. Is there such a contract? As far as federal wage and hour laws go, you are required to be paid at least minimum wage for any hours you have worked. You'll be dealing with the federal wage and hour division if you have need of it. Tennessee does not have any more stringent laws and protections for employees than the federal government demands, and has no state wage and hour division that would get involved in such situations. Very different than California, I'm afraid. It sounds like you should have someone legal review your employment contract with this business. I gather you are no longer working there?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
CA is one of only two states that requires the payout of certain business-related expenses, and it is the more generous of the two. However, it's going to take some research (unless someone else knows off the top) to determine which of the expenses you've enumerated are compensable. You might want to consider simply filing a wage claim with the DLSE if you're unable to resolve it. Since TN does not require the payout of any expenses, and neither do 47 other states, it's entirely possible that the employer is unaware of the CA s state law.

Here's an article to get you started.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/state-and-local-updates/pages/tips-for-reimbursing-california-employees-business-expenses.aspx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">