• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do as a Tenant ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loitruong

What is the name of your state? Texas

So last week, my Landlord hired roofers to fix the roof and putting a new roof on. Unfortunately, on Saturday, heavy rain came down and the water got leaked inside my unit, pouring water on top of my ceiling down. I called the Landlord and he sent people to fix and fix whatever the roofers did not do properly. I got few of my ceiling tiles replaced and I was told that the LANDLORD will replace all the ceiling tiles soon then i noticed little bit of bubbling appear on the wall due to water got leaked, i notice to the LANDLORD and have not gotten the message back. I have to close down our nails shopfor 2 days due to incident and we could have make decent amount of money in those 2 days, so my question is SHOULD I TELL THE LANDLORD FOR A COMPENSATION ? or WHAT SHOULD I DO ? to recover the lost of income ? thank you !

adjusterjack

You may just have to eat the lost income. I don't see where the landlord is liable for weather he had no control over.

LdiJ

You may just have to eat the lost income. I don't see where the landlord is liable for weather he had no control over.
I disagree. The landlord hired the roofers and the roofers left things exposed to the elements. That negligence is what caused the damage. Had it been a tornado that took off the roof I would have agreed with you, but this is not an act of mother nature, its an act of negligence.

Gail in Georgia

Couldn't hurt to ask but it's unlikely your landlord is under any legal obligation to compensate you for income you believe you "could" have made in those two days.
Do you have any actual documentation (that could, for example, be provided to a court) on your amount of lost income for those two days? That would be helpful.

Gail

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state? Texas

So last week, my Landlord hired roofers to fix the roof and putting a new roof on. Unfortunately, on Saturday, heavy rain came down and the water got leaked inside my unit, pouring water on top of my ceiling down. I called the Landlord and he sent people to fix and fix whatever the roofers did not do properly. I got few of my ceiling tiles replaced and I was told that the LANDLORD will replace all the ceiling tiles soon then i noticed little bit of bubbling appear on the wall due to water got leaked, i notice to the LANDLORD and have not gotten the message back. I have to close down our nails shopfor 2 days due to incident and we could have make decent amount of money in those 2 days, so my question is SHOULD I TELL THE LANDLORD FOR A COMPENSATION ? or WHAT SHOULD I DO ? to recover the lost of income ? thank you !
For future reference: as a small business, you really should look into insuring yourself.

Look into: business renters insurance and business income insurance.

adjusterjack

I disagree. The landlord hired the roofers and the roofers left things exposed to the elements. That negligence is what caused the damage. Had it been a tornado that took off the roof I would have agreed with you, but this is not an act of mother nature, its an act of negligence.
If there was any negligence it would be the roofer's not the landlord's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">