• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mblish

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I just recieved a settlement check for my injury I recieved at work. I have a permenent loss of motion in my right wrist I was a welder and right handed. the letter states as follows " I am writing to advise you that you have been awarded a seven percent permenency in regaurds to your worker's compensation injury. This equates to twenty eight weeks at $184.00 for a total due you of $5,152.00. Since this was all accrued, a check for $5,152.00 was sent to you on August 28, 2002. Once this check is recieved, no further indemnity will be due to you."

I will not be able to weld again and if my current source of income should fail I would have no way of making the amount of money I did welding. Can they send me a check and the letter at the same time and have it binding or can I do something to protect my best intrests? ( Both the Check and the letter are dated the same day.)

Last edited:

Beth3

Yes, they can do that. If you aren't happy with the permanancy rating, you have the right to file for a hearing with WI's Worker's Comp Division.

I strongly suspect that the type of inury you have is a "scheduled injury" however. That means that the State WC reg's dictate what the dollar value is of the impairment rating. If that's the case, there's not a thing you can do about it.

However, you *may* be eligible for a separate settlement amount for loss of future earning capacity. You really should consult with a WC attorney before proceeding.

M

mblish

In Re of Help

Beth, Thank you for your reply. I have contacted an attorney and they said that the amount was not correct and they are taking my case. I have not been offered any kind of vocational training or anything. I will let you know about the results when I get them.
Thanks,
MBlish:)

Beth3

I'm sure your attorney knows this but there are two different issues here. The permancy rating and the dollar value attached to it. There are almost always differences of opinions among the treating and evaluating physicians what the % of impairment rating should be. It usually ends up getting compromised somewhere in the middle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">