• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caramelburk

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have been employed by a retail store in Va since relocating to this state due to my husbands job promotion 2 years ago. I am from NJ, so I am already suffering from culture shock, but my main problem is the intolerable work conditions I am facing.
I was hired for a customer service desk position and told I would work about 32 hrs a week. The scheduling is done by the assistant store manager, who, I must mention, has hated me since the day I walked through the door. Let me add that this hatred is for absolutely no reason. I learned the job quickly, and was told by the store manager, that I was doing a great job, yet she was constantly screaming at me in front of other employees and also customers. She also critisizes me to anyone who can hear, on a daily basis.
I get blame for issues that occured on my day off, and she has told many employees how much she hates me, and wants me gone.
Six months after my start date, the third manager resigned, and the store manager asked me to accept the position. I accepted, mainly because this meant that the store manager would write my schedule, since the assistant was only giving me 8 hours a week.
I do my work to the best of my ability, and the store manager has told me that he is pleased. That assistant however, has done nothing but harrass me, even signing my name to refund slips from days I was not scheduled.
I was told by all my co-workers, to "watch my back", because she is out to get me.
I feel as though its just a matter of time before she sets me up, and I get fired. She is devious, irrational and boldly unfair.
I have been told that she is jealous of me, and this is why she wants me gone. I don't even know why she is jealous. I know her obvious lies and outbursts directed at me are only making her look ridiculous, but she refuses to stop until she gets me fired, or makes me quit.
My store manager has told me to ignore her harrassment and be the better person, but even he acts like he is afraid to speak to me in front of her, since she turns on anyone who is nice to me.
I have yet to act in an unprofessional manner, but being treated so pooirly is causing me depression and anxiety. I am suffering from migraine headaches so severe that I have spent every day off I've had since last year in bed. I never call off of work, but I fear that one day my migraines will cause me to have to quit.
I love my job, even though I earn almost unbelievably low wages. I don't want her to cause me to have to quit, but the stress she causes is making me literally "SICK". What should I do?

BelizeBreeze

caramelburk said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have been employed by a retail store in Va since relocating to this state due to my husbands job promotion 2 years ago. I am from NJ, so I am already suffering from culture shock, but my main problem is the intolerable work conditions I am facing.
I was hired for a customer service desk position and told I would work about 32 hrs a week. The scheduling is done by the assistant store manager, who, I must mention, has hated me since the day I walked through the door. Let me add that this hatred is for absolutely no reason. I learned the job quickly, and was told by the store manager, that I was doing a great job, yet she was constantly screaming at me in front of other employees and also customers. She also critisizes me to anyone who can hear, on a daily basis.
I get blame for issues that occured on my day off, and she has told many employees how much she hates me, and wants me gone.
Six months after my start date, the third manager resigned, and the store manager asked me to accept the position. I accepted, mainly because this meant that the store manager would write my schedule, since the assistant was only giving me 8 hours a week.
I do my work to the best of my ability, and the store manager has told me that he is pleased. That assistant however, has done nothing but harrass me, even signing my name to refund slips from days I was not scheduled.
I was told by all my co-workers, to "watch my back", because she is out to get me.
I feel as though its just a matter of time before she sets me up, and I get fired. She is devious, irrational and boldly unfair.
I have been told that she is jealous of me, and this is why she wants me gone. I don't even know why she is jealous. I know her obvious lies and outbursts directed at me are only making her look ridiculous, but she refuses to stop until she gets me fired, or makes me quit.
My store manager has told me to ignore her harrassment and be the better person, but even he acts like he is afraid to speak to me in front of her, since she turns on anyone who is nice to me.
I have yet to act in an unprofessional manner, but being treated so pooirly is causing me depression and anxiety. I am suffering from migraine headaches so severe that I have spent every day off I've had since last year in bed. I never call off of work, but I fear that one day my migraines will cause me to have to quit.
I love my job, even though I earn almost unbelievably low wages. I don't want her to cause me to have to quit, but the stress she causes is making me literally "SICK". What should I do?
It's not against the law for someone to dislike you, hate you or even despise you. It's also not against the law for someone to yell at you in front of customers.

In fact, nothing you have included here is even remotely illegal.

caramelburk

Thanks

Thanks, I didn't think it was, but I was hoping for some small chance to stop her petty harassment. I guess I will just quit, and everyone will be happier.
Thanks again for the reality check!!!

BelizeBreeze

You COULD do as I did about 35 years ago when someone was on my case for no apparant reason.

You can ask her in a very sweet voice, to have lunch with you then when you sit down together lean across the table and tell her in a very low voice "Listen bitch, if you want a good old fashioned ass kicking then keep up the **** and we'll dance all night. Do I make myself clear?" smile and continue eating your lunch.

after lunch is over go back to work as if nothing had happened. :D

BelizeBreeze said:
You COULD do as I did about 35 years ago when someone was on my case for no apparant reason.

You can ask her in a very sweet voice, to have lunch with you then when you sit down together lean across the table and tell her in a very low voice "Listen bitch, if you want a good old fashioned ass kicking then keep up the **** and we'll dance all night. Do I make myself clear?" smile and continue eating your lunch.

Lmao!!! Since I spilled my juice reading this I will be billing you for the damages!! :D j/k

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Hey, if that's the way she wants to go I'm all for it. Just pointing out the inevitable conclusion so that she can make an informed decision.

caramelburk

What I did today

BelizeBreeze said:

After discussing this with my husband, he suggested that instead of giving her what she wants by quitting, I should just stand up for myself, and whatever the outcome, for me its a win/win situation.
I went back to work after lunch, and she was insisting that I was involved in a dispute with a customer over a refund. This situation took place on my day off, yet she signed my name to the refund slip, after swearing at this customer. I merely reiterated that I was not present on this day, and she went insanely ballistic, screaming, throwing books from my desk, and slamming her fist on my desk. I let her finish her fit, then politely said,"You know, there are alot of medications that are helpful in treating mental illness", then put my books back on my desk, and returned to the sales floor. She did not say a word to me for the remainder of the day. Then about an hour after my sarcastic moment, I got a call on my cell for an interview for a broadcast journalism position with the local news station. Hopefully this will go well, since I really didn't think I would ever get a job in my field of study, living here in Virginia. Let my add "I really hate living in the south"
Sorry this was so long, I just have so few people to talk to in this state.

caramelburk said:
After discussing this with my husband, he suggested that instead of giving her what she wants by quitting, I should just stand up for myself, and whatever the outcome, for me its a win/win situation.
I went back to work after lunch, and she was insisting that I was involved in a dispute with a customer over a refund. This situation took place on my day off, yet she signed my name to the refund slip, after swearing at this customer. I merely reiterated that I was not present on this day, and she went insanely ballistic, screaming, throwing books from my desk, and slamming her fist on my desk. I let her finish her fit, then politely said,"You know, there are alot of medications that are helpful in treating mental illness", then put my books back on my desk, and returned to the sales floor. She did not say a word to me for the remainder of the day. Then about an hour after my sarcastic moment, I got a call on my cell for an interview for a broadcast journalism position with the local news station. Hopefully this will go well, since I really didn't think I would ever get a job in my field of study, living here in Virginia. Let my add "I really hate living in the south"
Sorry this was so long, I just have so few people to talk to in this state.
Wow!!! she sounds like a piece of work!!!! Lmao@her tempter tantrum :D Hopefully all goes well with your interview so you can leave your current position.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Boy, she's even worse that the manager I once had, and I didn't think that was possible. Good luck to you.

cbg said:
Boy, she's even worse that the manager I once had, and I didn't think that was possible. Good luck to you.
Same here....I can honestly say I've never had a manager quite like that and I've had some bad apples!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">