• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I expect for my sentencing and would a pro bono lawyer have an impact?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Random_Rock

Hello, I have a court date for 4 misdemeanors from one night. First, Criminal Damage to Property, where i shattered a small residential window home. Second, Tampering with motor vehicle where I attempted to punch a car window but no damage was done. And the 3rd and 4th being resisting a peace officer when I was running through the streets.

I reside in Illinois and have one previous misdemeanor about 5 years ago for possession of cannabis. Supposedly in 2020 that will be expunged after marijuana legalization. So how much would that previous misdemeanor affect the judges decision?

I am a medical student studying in Europe, but I'm visiting relatives in the states over this summer and my income is less than $1,000 per month.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, advice is desperately needed.

LdiJ

Hello, I have a court date for 4 misdemeanors from one night. First, Criminal Damage to Property, where i shattered a small residential window home. Second, Tampering with motor vehicle where I attempted to punch a car window but no damage was done. And the 3rd and 4th being resisting a peace officer when I was running through the streets.

I reside in Illinois and have one previous misdemeanor about 5 years ago for possession of cannabis. Supposedly in 2020 that will be expunged after marijuana legalization. So how much would that previous misdemeanor affect the judges decision?

I am a medical student studying in Europe, but I'm visiting relatives in the states over this summer and my income is less than $1,000 per month.

So what was this, a drunken spree or something else? A decent criminal attorney might be able to plead it down to a single offense.

quincy

You will want a criminal defense attorney to help you handle your misdemeanor charges. The resisting police charge comes with mandatory jail time or community service hours.

Links to the laws you were said to have violated:

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=062500050K4-102
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K31-1
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K21-1

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">