• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I expect in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank you, that does give me a lot of useful information that I will remember for when I go to court.
Good luck! Focus on your sobriety and the steps you have taken to improve your life - bonus points if you have tried helped others avoid the pitfalls of your path.

Being able to show that you are trying to be a better person than you were back then can only help.

CD1777

Good luck! Focus on your sobriety and the steps you have taken to improve your life - bonus points if you have tried helped others avoid the pitfalls of your path.

Being able to show that you are trying to be a better person than you were back then can only help.
Thank you. All I have right now is my sobriety and I’ll be damned if I’m going to give that up. It will only make the situation worse. I have completed numerous treatment centers, so maybe that will help? Again I appreciate everyone who replied, you have all been informative, and it doesn’t go unappreciated.

quincy

Thank you. All I have right now is my sobriety and I’ll be damned if I’m going to give that up. It will only make the situation worse. I have completed numerous treatment centers, so maybe that will help? Again I appreciate everyone who replied, you have all been informative, and it doesn’t go unappreciated.
We all appreciate the thanks so thank you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Drug trafficking first offense
I have never been in trouble before. I got charged with drug trafficking a controlled substance. I attempted to get 2, oxymorphone pills into a mental health facility to a patient residing there...What am I looking at?
I'll give you some basic information on the crime for which you've been charged. Oxymorphone is a Schedule II narcotic drug in Kentucky. See the Kentucky drug schedules. Trafficking a schedule II narcotic drug is the crime of trafficking of a controlled substance in the first degree, Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) section 218A.1412. Trafficking less than 10 dosage units (10 pills, basically) is a class D felony for a first offense. The basic sentence for a Class D felony is between one to five years in prison. KRS § 532.060. However, it appears that Kentucky law does allow a court to impose probation rather than prison for most crimes other than capital offenses or violent offenders. KRS § 532.040. You might also have to pay a fine. Note that in Kentucky if you go to trial and the jury convicts you on a felony charge, it is the jury that makes the initial sentencing decision, not the judge.

The bottom line is that this is a somewhat serious charge. It's a felony offense and thus there is a potential for serving time in prison if you are convicted. A felony conviction will also mean you will lose your right to possess any firearm or firearm ammunition under federal law. You might lose your right to possess firearms in MO too. And you might lose the right to vote for some period of time, typically at least during the time you are in prison or on probation. A felony conviction may make getting at least some jobs harder as well.

Work with your lawyer and see what your options are. If the state has a good case against you, perhaps the lawyer can work out a plea to something that would be a misdemeanor offense or at least would ensure you get probation and a fine rather than prison time. Discuss the case only with your lawyer.

Staying off the drugs and staying out of trouble while the case is being worked out is also very important.

CD1777

I'll give you some basic information on the crime for which you've been charged. Oxymorphone is a Schedule II narcotic drug in Kentucky. See the Kentucky drug schedules. Trafficking a schedule II narcotic drug is the crime of trafficking of a controlled substance in the first degree, Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) section 218A.1412. Trafficking less than 10 dosage units (10 pills, basically) is a class D felony for a first offense. The basic sentence for a Class D felony is between one to five years in prison. KRS § 532.060. However, it appears that Kentucky law does allow a court to impose probation rather than prison for most crimes other than capital offenses or violent offenders. KRS § 532.040. You might also have to pay a fine. Note that in Kentucky if you go to trial and the jury convicts you on a felony charge, it is the jury that makes the initial sentencing decision, not the judge.

The bottom line is that this is a somewhat serious charge. It's a felony offense and thus there is a potential for serving time in prison if you are convicted. A felony conviction will also mean you will lose your right to possess any firearm or firearm ammunition under federal law. You might lose your right to possess firearms in MO too. And you might lose the right to vote for some period of time, typically at least during the time you are in prison or on probation. A felony conviction may make getting at least some jobs harder as well.

Work with your lawyer and see what your options are. If the state has a good case against you, perhaps the lawyer can work out a plea to something that would be a misdemeanor offense or at least would ensure you get probation and a fine rather than prison time. Discuss the case only with your lawyer.

Staying off the drugs and staying out of trouble while the case is being worked out is also very important.
Thank you for the info. Very informative. I appreciate the length u took to inform me of all of this. Seriously, I appreciate it a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">