• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what steps can i take now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

Im 8 mo. pregnant and my babys father just left after 4 1/2 yrs. He claims to want visitation but has not been very interested i inform him of all dr. appt and plan to invite him to the birth but he seems to have no intrest in the baby whatsoever, i was recently hospitalized for premature contractions and i called him n he was drunk n wouldnt leave the bar. Will that count against him in court? I just want our son to have a decent relationship and open com. w/ his father and im doing what i can to look past my issue w/ his father and help him to have all joys of being a parent. im in the process of putting together information and setting up a meeting w/ my ex to try and make a parenting plan so together we can agree on the best instrest of our son. Does anyone have any helpful info or know what forms i may need i.e. petition for custody and that form for admitting paternity; and where i can acess them? thanks so much

is there anything i should be doing now to protect myself i.e keeping a record of his behavior incase he doesnt improve when our son is born? im torn between wanting to nuture their relationship and protecting our baby from his drunk n iresponsible behavior

Last edited:

CJane

Until the child is born and paternity is legally established, it doesn't HAVE a father. You can't draw up a parenting plan when there's only one recognized parent, and you can't use his lack of interest NOW against him - you really can't even use a lack of interest in the future against him.

he admits it his son he knows it i know it and he tells everyone there is no doubt its his and i read all we have to do is sign an agreemnt form to est. legal paternity in fl

CJane

newmommy20 said:
he admits it his son he knows it i know it and he tells everyone there is no doubt its his and i read all we have to do is sign an agreemnt form to est. legal paternity in fl

That 'agreement' form is called an acknowledgement of paternity, and is filled out/signed at the hospital when the baby is born. Until then, he's not the daddy.

AND even once he's proven to be the father, no matter how many agreements you come to, without a judge's signature they're unenforceable. And even once a judge DOES sign them, you can't force him to interact with the child beyond paying support.

Gracie3787

newmommy20 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Im 8 mo. pregnant and my babys father just left after 4 1/2 yrs. He claims to want visitation but has not been very interested i inform him of all dr. appt and plan to invite him to the birth but he seems to have no intrest in the baby whatsoever, i was recently hospitalized for premature contractions and i called him n he was drunk n wouldnt leave the bar. Will that count against him in court? I just want our son to have a decent relationship and open com. w/ his father and im doing what i can to look past my issue w/ his father and help him to have all joys of being a parent. im in the process of putting together information and setting up a meeting w/ my ex to try and make a parenting plan so together we can agree on the best instrest of our son. Does anyone have any helpful info or know what forms i may need i.e. petition for custody and that form for admitting paternity; and where i can acess them? thanks so much

is there anything i should be doing now to protect myself i.e keeping a record of his behavior incase he doesnt improve when our son is born? im torn between wanting to nuture their relationship and protecting our baby from his drunk n iresponsible behavior
You can find all the forms at www.flcourts.org/ click on Family Law forms. As stated by the other posters, you can't file until after the baby is born.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">