• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do about being shorted pay out of state job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JackM678

What is the name of your state?
Washington

I live in Texas, but this summer I worked part of an agreement for a summer camp in the state of Washington, which included room and board with the job. The agreement was for $2000 from the dates of June 26 to August 17. There was 24 hours of time off per week.

So, on August 3rd, I decided that not only was the camp not in line with my values and kind of misled me with the job description, but also due to health concerns given I was the oldest counselor there at the age of 32 and suffering from not only severe athlete's food, but also having a hard time staying healthy, I told them I was going home and handed them a letter of resignation.

The first paycheck I got midway through was only for $750, and was supposed to be for 2 camp sessions plus training, which should have been more, as our first week was 3 days, and then training week was a full 6 days, plus two camp sessions. The director told me she mailed out my paycheck that I wasn't there to get, and it was for 2 weeks of pay, which will likely come out to only around $500, meaning that if I had stayed the whole time, I likely would have been shorted also and still having to deal with this.

The way I calculated it is that if each of the 6 sessions are 6 days each, and then you have 9 days of training, that's 45 days, of which I worked 33. That would be $216.66 that I was shorted, but I don't know if that's how they would calculate it if a small claims case was made.

So, here's the dilemma. The only way I can real take this out with them in court is if they agreed to be on Judge Judy or something, which I'd be fine with as I'd finally be eligible for my Screen Actors' Guild union card, because I can't go all the way out to Washington just to recover around 200 dollars. The agreement I signed they called a contract, but I 100% doubt it is legally binding, as it said I could terminate it, and didn't say anything about a penalty for not giving the one week notice, but I don't know how it would look if I had quit and not worked out the entire term. I almost wonder if it would have been better just to have made them fire me instead of quitting, but that's another issue.

Would any division investigate this without requiring me to travel across country or appear in person if the payroll department blows me off?

adjusterjack

Give it up and get over it. You would have to sue where the camp is located. You won't get any award for travel cost. And they sure as heck won't agree to be on Judge Judy or any of those shows.

The contract you signed is binding. Make no mistake about that. It might allow you to quit any time but does it say anything about how you get paid when you quit? If it doesn't then it's going to be decided by whoever has the most leverage, which is not you.

You might try contacting the WA state Dept of Labor about filing a wage claim and see how that goes.

Last edited:

JackM678

I didn't sign a contract, I signed an agreement to work a set of dates, but worked some of them. If it gives a lump sum for the pay, wouldn't I be entitled pay for the dates I worked? They shorted me on my first paycheck, and it doesn't appear I was going to get the total pay anyway even if I had worked the entire term.

adjusterjack

I didn't sign a contract, I signed an agreement to work a set of dates,
Uh, that's a contract.

worked some of them. If it gives a lump sum for the pay, wouldn't I be entitled pay for the dates I worked?
Of course.

They shorted me on my first paycheck
What did they say when you brought that to their attention?

it doesn't appear I was going to get the total pay anyway even if I had worked the entire term.
That's speculation.

JackM678

I didn't bring the first paycheck to them, because all the other counselors got 3 weeks pay too, so I guess I assumed that it was pay up until the previous week. I was more looking forward to the group of kids I was taking care of the next week, and given I wasn't working there for money, my attitude was I would bring it up when the time was right.

I haven't contacted the main office about this yet, but I'll see if they have an explanation. The contract stated it could be terminated by either party with a week notice, which I gave them about 15 minutes notice, but it doesn't specify any penalty over not giving notice. Labor laws are pretty clear that they have to pay me for my time worked regardless though.

JackM678

The director just responded to me and said she made a mistake on my contact at the beginning, but they will send me a paycheck at the end of September to make up the difference.

Thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">