• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to Do about This???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amandalou82

What is the name of your state?North Carolina

My husband signed papers for the stepfather to adopt his son at the end of March 2005. It is now August and we have heard nothing. Everywhere we call they say they can't tell us anything. We're wanting to know if there's a way to stop a stepparent adoption once the permission to adopt papers are filed with the lawyer. We know that the stepfather hired a lawyer because the papers my husband signed has a lawyer listed. We're just wondering if they've decided to not go through with it after they filed papers. Any advice on this would be great? HELP.

Getlo

I know that when my ex signed papers to give up his rights, he was sent papers from the Guardian Ad Lib. and she also called him and there is lots of info he had to legally be given and then he had X amount of time to rebute his termination of rights. If your dh didnt get such things I would say that it hasnt happened yet.

Good luck

brisgirl825

In those papers, that he signed, were there any documents pertaining to a Waiver of Service of Summons?

Getlo, it's called a Guardian Ad Litem! :)

amandalou82

The paper my dh signed is called Consent to Adoption by Parent, Guardian Ad Litem, or Guardian. It was filled out by the lawyer that the stepfather signed and my dh signed it in front of a notary. It was supposedly filed after that. But we haven't heard anything beyond signing this paper and it was signed on March 29th, 2005. What should be happening now???

tigger22472

amandalou82 said:
The paper my dh signed is called Consent to Adoption by Parent, Guardian Ad Litem, or Guardian. It was filled out by the lawyer that the stepfather signed and my dh signed it in front of a notary. It was supposedly filed after that. But we haven't heard anything beyond signing this paper and it was signed on March 29th, 2005. What should be happening now???
Have you talked to the mother?
What about CS agency if CS was being paid, is it still being paid?
What about the lawyer's office?

amandalou82

Well my dh has talked to the stepfather recently but all he told him was that social services had come by to do the home visit and that he should have heard something shortly after that. Well it's been about 3 weeks since that conversation. He keeps telling my dh the same thing over and over. From what I've read on other forums it should not have taken this long for the adoption to be final. My dh is still paying child support because the cs office said it couldn't be stopped until they had a copy of the final adoption papers. My dh has tried contacting the lawyers office. All they said was that they couldn't release any information about their client. We also tried calling the courthouse and social services. They all say they cannot release any information.

tigger22472

amandalou82 said:
Well my dh has talked to the stepfather recently but all he told him was that social services had come by to do the home visit and that he should have heard something shortly after that. Well it's been about 3 weeks since that conversation. He keeps telling my dh the same thing over and over. From what I've read on other forums it should not have taken this long for the adoption to be final. My dh is still paying child support because the cs office said it couldn't be stopped until they had a copy of the final adoption papers. My dh has tried contacting the lawyers office. All they said was that they couldn't release any information about their client. We also tried calling the courthouse and social services. They all say they cannot release any information.

Mine took nearly 6 months to finalize from the time of filing to the finalization. The home study took the most time to do.. also depending on the size of your city depends on how long that and a court date would take.

Getlo

Mine started (terminated rights) in May 01 and final adoption papers signed by judge on Oct. 28, 2001.

HUGS

Tonya

amandalou82

Getlo said:
Mine started (terminated rights) in May 01 and final adoption papers signed by judge on Oct. 28, 2001.

HUGS

Tonya
Thanks for the information. That makes me feel a little bit better. Were you the mother of the child being adopted or were you married to the person terminating their rights? Just curious. Will my dh receive anything by mail, like a copy of the final adoption papers, etc.? What should we be waiting to hear or see to know that the adoption has been done? Also who is responsible for letting the child support agency know the adoption is final?

Thanks

tigger22472

amandalou82 said:
Thanks for the information. That makes me feel a little bit better. Were you the mother of the child being adopted or were you married to the person terminating their rights? Just curious. Will my dh receive anything by mail, like a copy of the final adoption papers, etc.? What should we be waiting to hear or see to know that the adoption has been done? Also who is responsible for letting the child support agency know the adoption is final?

Thanks
Um.. your husband might not get anything from the court. I know my ex didn't. As far as the CS issue goes, I know that I was the one to contact them about it but if you're up on it he can do it... if he has a copy to prove it.

Grace_Adler

Your husband should have had an attorney handle his end of it for this very reason. An attorney would have been able to get all that info for you. It may not be too late for him to get one to help him out. An attorney could correspond with their attorney and get the info you need because other than that, I don't know who would contact CSE about the papers.

I can tell you tho, I know someone who also signed consent forms for an adoption in January or February and the court was petitioned in March They've already done the homestudy and have gone through the Clerk of Court to have the adoption finalized but the final papers have to go to Raleigh and apparently that is what is holding everything up because they haven't received their copies either. He is starting to feel like he is getting the run around too but that is what he was told if it's the truth.

Do you know if they have gone to the Clerk of Court and had the final papers signed yet?

I doubt he will get anything in the mail because once you sign the Consent forms that's it. You're not privvy to even be informed of the courtdate. And you only have 7 days to change your mind.

If you are in Eastern NC, I might be able to recommend an attorney depending on what county you're in.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">