• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do if you are accused of being a threat to yourself or others?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lazyeye14

I'm a male in my 20s. I'm essentially an average law abiding citizen. On two separate occasions in my 20s I was detained for 72 hours because they said that they have reason to believe I'm a threat to myself or others. Both times this happened, it happened practically for no reason. I was sort of just operating on auto pilot, but some person(s) said that they thought I was acting suspiciously.

IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN
What should I say to them?
When I was accused of being a threat, it caused me to feel a strong fight or flight response that was terrifying. I don't want to lose my cool. I just need to know what I should say to the court if I get detained again for being a "threat" because I'm not a threat at all and I just want to have some peace of mind

Last edited:

Just Blue

I'm a male in my 20s. I'm essentially an average law abiding citizen. On two separate occasions in my 20s I was detained for 72 hours because they said that they have reason to believe I'm a threat to myself or others. Both times this happened, it happened practically for no reason. I was sort of just operating on auto pilot, but some person(s) said that they thought I was acting suspiciously.

IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN
What should I say to them?
When I was accused of being a threat, it caused me to feel a strong fight or flight response that was terrifying. I don't want to lose my cool. I just need to know what I should say to the court if I get detained again for being a "threat" because I'm not a threat at all and I just want to have some peace of mind
What state did this occur in?
What led up to your detainment? Please clarify the situation re the bolded section of your post.

lazyeye14

What state did this occur in?
What led up to your detainment? Please clarify the situation re the bolded section of your post.
Minnesota it happened in. It happened twice in a few years. The same individual reported me both times for acting suspiciously, and I was required to appear before court officials who were to decide if I was going to be locked up for 6 or more months, and I'm not a threat to anyone mind you. I was never held for the 6 months but I was held for 72 hours both times

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The same individual reported me both times for acting suspiciously,
Define what "acting suspiciously" would be.

Because usually "acting suspiciously" will get you investigated for a crime, not a psychiatric hold. I know that when I've contacted law enforcement about "suspicious" behavior, it's because of a suspected crime.

So, what are you doing that others are credibly communicating as threatening to others? What is the action that you would describe as "practically for no reason"? Are you yelling? Hitting or throwing things?

lazyeye14

Define what "acting suspiciously" would be.

Because usually "acting suspiciously" will get you investigated for a crime, not a psychiatric hold. I know that when I've contacted law enforcement about "suspicious" behavior, it's because of a suspected crime.

So, what are you doing that others are credibly communicating as threatening to others? What is the action that you would describe as "practically for no reason"? Are you yelling? Hitting or throwing things?
What actually happened was I was sort of just minding my own business. I was supposedly "pacing back and forth in a suspicious manner" which I did not really recall doing, so if I was doing it I was doing it relatively unconsciously. I was not in any kind of argument until the time I was detained. The court and law enforcement was involved with the scenario. I was not told very many details of the investigation, but I suspect that they decided to hold me because of what the plaintiff told them. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the situation in a professional manner

quincy

What actually happened was I was sort of just minding my own business. I was supposedly "pacing back and forth in a suspicious manner" which I did not really recall doing, so if I was doing it I was doing it relatively unconsciously. I was not in any kind of argument until the time I was detained. The court and law enforcement was involved with the scenario. I was not told very many details of the investigation, but I suspect that they decided to hold me because of what the plaintiff told them. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the situation in a professional manner
Were you carrying a weapon?

In what sort of location were you “pacing” (e.g., in front of a school, by a bank)?

lazyeye14

Were you carrying a weapon?

In what sort of location were you “pacing” (e.g., in front of a school, by a bank)?
I'm not sure but it was most likely in someone's house. The individual whose identity I will keep confidential is someone I know who frequently says insulting things to me. I try to be as respectful as I can to them in return but they for some reason point their finger at me that I'm some kind of threat. I essentially just want to know what is the best way to communicate to law enforcement and court officials that I'm not a threat so that they can just rule it out of the equation. I just want to be able to sleep at night knowing I'm not going to be unexpectedly detained and taken away from my job

quincy

I'm not sure but it was most likely in someone's house. The individual whose identity I will keep confidential is someone I know who frequently says insulting things to me. I try to be as respectful as I can to them in return but they for some reason point their finger at me that I'm some kind of threat. I essentially just want to know what is the best way to communicate to law enforcement and court officials that I'm not a threat so that they can just rule it out of the equation. I just want to be able to sleep at night knowing I'm not going to be unexpectedly detained and taken away from my job
You have been reported for pacing in “someone’s house?” Are you supposed to be in this person’s house? Were you under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time these reports were made?

The best way to handle an involuntary hold is to remain calm and non combative and to contact an attorney in your area.

You might also want to find a new place to live.

Just Blue

Well... The most sensible solution is to stay away from the person that keeps reporting you. Don't go to their home, office, have a beer with them...just stay away.

lazyeye14

Well... The most sensible solution is to stay away from the person that keeps reporting you. Don't go to their home, office, have a beer with them...just stay away.
Alright, I know all I need to know. I'll wrap it up by saying that I was welcome in the person's house and don't trespass, break law, etc. Going to just stay away from 'em.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">