• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do when COBRA runs out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawiep

What is the name of your state? CO

Hi,

I'm helping my wife (well soon to be ex. wife :() figure out what to do with her health care once her COBRA runs out; I think I'm correct in saying that her coverage began June 2006, which would mean that it runs out December this year. She has a an existing condition, and she wants to make sure that her current Dr's, PT and prescriptions are covered. I remember reading sometihng about a Colorado State plan (not medicare) that helps when COBRA runs out, but for the life of me can't remember the name of it. Can anyone far more knowledgable than I :eek: explain how things work with existing conditions and the end of COBRA etc. Oh and she hasn't worked since last JUne.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

thebeacon

After COBRA runs out

After your COBRA runs out you can qualify for HIPPA coverage. That means that after your COBRA runs out you will get certificate of credible coverage. With this certificate you have two months to submit application to ANY insurance company and they must approve your wife without looking at her medical records. There is no exceptions unless you are in some state where it is not available. HIPPA coverage is not exactly the same as Individual or Family health plans it has its limits depending on the insurance company. As long as you go with reputable large insurance company that you heard of you will be safe. REMEMBER you have two months after COBRA exhaust to apply to insurance companies. Good Luck

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
HIPAA is a law that covers the limitations of pre-existing conditions. It is not a form of insurance coverage.

I have been administrating health insurance benefits for 26 years and I have never heard of a law that grants two months of guaranteed coverage as long as you produce your HIPAA certificate. Please post a link to this alleged law.

Edited to add: I am well aware that if an employee joins a GROUP insurance plan and can prove, with their HIPAA certificate, that they have not had a gap in coverage of 63 days or longer, they are protected from any pre-existing clause that the policy may provide. That is a very far cry from saying that any major carrier is required by law to accept any individual with a HIPAA certificate with no medical underwriting.

Last edited:

TIMMAAYY

I believe that BEACON was using the phrase "HIPAA COVERAGE" as another term for HIPAA Plans. The carriers that offer these plans MUST TAKE YOU and can not pre x you for anything IF you meet the requirements ( ie federally eligible ).

For instance, here in Ohio, many carriers have HIPAA plans. There is currently no state high risk pool ( that's in the works BTW ). For someone that meets the requirements of "federally eligibile" or "HIPAA eligible", they can apply for any of these plans and they have to take them, open enrollment or not.

As an example, I recently showed an employer how to opt out of group health care from the insurance carriers, and still provide the same benefits to all employees. A handful didn't qualify for individual coverage, and were put onto HIPAA plans. They meet the requirement because A) they no longer have access to group coverage B) there is no COBRA if there is no more group and C) they were turned down for individual coverage, and D) they are not eligible for Medicare yet.

If you shop around, there is a WIDE range... but in the high dollar figure all around... of prices for HIPAA plans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">