• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What type of lawyer do I need?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just.junior

Washington State

My wife received a "Petition for an Order for Protection-Harassment" and has the option to challenge this order in court next week. I spoke with a criminal lawyer but they state that this is a civil matter at this point. I know that a lawyer isn't needed but my wife would feel more comfortable with representation. What kind of lawyer do I need? When I search for lawyers online, there are a lot of categories to sort through and I have no clue where to start.

Just Blue

Washington State

My wife received a "Petition for an Order for Protection-Harassment" and has the option to challenge this order in court next week. I spoke with a criminal lawyer but they state that this is a civil matter at this point. I know that a lawyer isn't needed but my wife would feel more comfortable with representation. What kind of lawyer do I need? When I search for lawyers online, there are a lot of categories to sort through and I have no clue where to start.
Who is applying for the RO...an ex husband? Neighbor?

quincy

Washington State

Why is an order of protection being sought against your wife?

Are you seeking advice on defamation?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What kind of lawyer do I need? When I search for lawyers online, there are a lot of categories to sort through and I have no clue where to start.
Your wife needs a civil litigation attorney. While a lot of civil litigators might be able to handle this for her, I suggest you look in the area of family law since those attorneys deal with orders of protection more than lawyers handling most other kinds of civil matters.

quincy

Here is a link to the various types of protection orders in Washington: http://www.protectionorder.org

The reason for the order needs to be known to determine better what lawyer is best for your wife to hire. I tend to think a defense attorney would be a better choice than a family law attorney.

Whoever she winds up chooses, your wife is smart to be looking for legal assistance before the hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">