• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NigNag

Hello, I want to sell a "pet cooling mat" via Dropship from China to the USA. This means if someone in the USA orders my product, I order the product cheaper from China to the customers home. My question now is: What could happen to me if the dog of a customers bites the Mat off (the Mat could possibly contain toxins) and get sick from it? And is there a way to sell this product anyway without penalty if something happens? You should know that my firms location is in Germany and it is an OHG.

quincy

Hello, I want to sell a "pet cooling mat" via Dropship from China to the USA. This means if someone in the USA orders my product, I order the product cheaper from China to the customers home. My question now is: What could happen to me if the dog of a customers bites the Mat off (the Mat could possibly contain toxins) and get sick from it? And is there a way to sell this product anyway without penalty if something happens? You should know that my firms location is in Germany and it is an OHG.
There can be problems with toxic products being imported into the US.

If the products are sold in the US and the products cause harm, the manufacturer and seller can be held legally responsible for this harm.

Warning labels can help but will not prevent a lawsuit.

quincy

That helped. Thank you :)
You're welcome, NigNag. I appreciate the thanks.

I suggest you meet with an attorney in Germany to discuss product liability. Although the chances of a dog consuming part of your cooling mat might not be great, you still will want to limit your legal risk as much as possible.

Good luck with your business.

xylene

What could happen to me if the dog of a customers bites the Mat off (the Mat could possibly contain toxins) and get sick from it?
If you know the product is toxic to animals and/or that your supplier is unwilling or unable to make or guarantee the product is appropriately non-toxic to a reasonable standard of veterinary health for something that is likely to be chewed....

Just throwing this out here, maybe what you need to do is fix that design and or supply chain issue so the product is pet safe. That might go a lot further to prevent liability issues than trying to find a way to disclaim your liability.

Just Blue

Haha. I actually wasn't thinking about my dogs, either. One consumed drywall and a tile floor.
Had a Newfoundland as a kid that quite literally ate our kitchen. Floor tile, chairs, table....you name it...she ate it. Other than that she was a really good dog. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">