• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would you do in this situation? Landlord is sending me letters from a lawyer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoti

Hi all, looking for some advice on how to handle this situation.

I own a small Martial Arts school located in the DFW area, TX. I have been at the same location for the past 3 years. Originally signed my lease with one landlord then they sold the shopping center to another landlord. I have owned the business for 10 years now and it is an LLC.

My business teaches Thai boxing. We have boxing bags and pads that we use in class and are typical of this kind of Martial Art. It makes noise and that's obvious.

For the last three years since I opened in my current location we have been operating without a problem. About 6 months ago the empty suit next door got leased to a tile and granite place. The suit on the other side have been occupied the whole time.

The new tenant next door is complaining about noise and vibration from our suite due to the type of workout we do. The tenant on the other side never complains.

Our boxing bags were indeed causing vibration so we added dampers to them and braced the wall next to them and the vibrations are gone.

The noise obviously is here to stay as we can't train without using the bags or the pads and the commotion of about 20-30 people on the mat obviously causes noise.

I have suggested that we do not use the bags which cause most of the noise until after 6PM which is when the new tenant closes his business (we are mostly busy from 4PM-9PM).

The landlord visited my business outside of business hours and brought an architect to give us some ideas. They never actually contacted me with any conclusion but instead sent me a demand letter asking me to stop the vibration (which we already taken care of to the best of our ability and they completely ignore it) and the noise (which means that we have to stop teaching).

They are asking me to do things that will not let me run my business.

How should I handle this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">