• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would you do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chet67

What state do you live in? Illinois

Hello, I have a 2004 Chevy 3500 Express work truck with 90K miles on it. Turns out that the frame of this truck rusted out at a very early stage, to the point that the truck was not safe to drive and unrepairable. I called the manufacturer and finally after several attempts to resolve this issue, they had agreed to replace the whole frame of this truck. I believe that they are at fault for the truck rusting out so soon in the first place. The verbal agreement at first was that GM would pay 75% and that I would pay 25% of a $10,000.00 repair and that this repair would take 5 weeks, well I've been without my work truck for almost four months and they had finally called to say that it is ready. I'm wondering if I should even pay them anything?

Last edited:

Just Blue

Hello, I have a 2004 Chevy 3500 Express work truck with 90K miles on it. Turns out that the frame of this truck rusted out at a very early stage, to the point that the truck was not safe to drive and unrepairable. I called the manufacturer and finally after several attempts to resolve this issue, they had agreed to replace the whole frame of this truck. I believe that they are at fault for the truck rusting out so soon in the first place. The verbal agreement at first was that GM would pay 75% and that I would pay 25% of a $10,000.00 repair and that this repair would take 5 weeks, well I've been without my work truck for almost four months and they had finally called to say that it is ready. I'm wondering if I should even pay them anything?
US Law Only.

(Hint: You did not list your state. )

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you pay the $2,500 that you agreed to pay if you want your truck back.

Chet67

I would suggest that you pay the $2,500 that you agreed to pay if you want your truck back.
Right, but at the same time they said 5 weeks and it has been 4 months. Who's going to pay me the money that I have lost from not being able to work out of my truck? Also, the cause of this corrosion was because of a plastic shroud that they had bolted to the frame, which sped up the corrosion process.

TigerD

Right, but at the same time they said 5 weeks and it has been 4 months. Who's going to pay me the money that I have lost from not being able to work out of my truck?
No one.

Also, the cause of this corrosion was because of a plastic shroud that they had bolted to the frame, which sped up the corrosion process.
Which is why they offered to pay $7,500 on a truck that is more than halfway to being an antique.

DC

Chet67

Something tells me that you guys are NOT attorneys and the advice I'm getting is just your personal opinion**************.

TigerD

DC is an attorney. ;)

But feel free to hire one in your area to assist you. :)
As flattering as that is, I am actually not until the swearing in on Oct. 6.
So, yeah, it is just my opinion, which is all the OP is going to get from anybody on an internet forum.

But I concur, hiring a local attorney to make him feel better about hearing the same thing from a licensed attorney in his state wouldn't be a total waste of money.

DC

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Then this site should not say "Ask a lawyer"...what a waste.
If you want the "Ask a Lawyer" part of the forum, you gotta click da button!

The following disclaimer is at the bottom of EVERY page of this forum:

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
FreeAdvice.com has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding information and "advice" free since 1995 with thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed articles, questions and answers in more than 100 categories in the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS AND OTHER FORUM PAGES WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM and are provided AS IS. The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. Use of the Forums is subject to our Disclaimer and our Terms and Conditions of use which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum is never a substitute for personal advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction you have retained to represent you. To locate an attorney visit AttorneyPages.com. Copyright since 1995 by Advice Company. All Rights Reserved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">