• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's My Attorney Thinking???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smkw92

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY **sorry new here... asking again.

Ex and I have been legally separated for two years and the divorce was granted a few months ago. Until last week, I was still waiting to have the court hear our custody and child support case. I was not satisfied with the outcome, never went before a judge and walked away wondering why I hired an attorney....

I know I have 10 days to file a motion to re-address both issues, but here is my problem... My attorney is telling me "there are many factors impacting what could result in different figures and I believe the $X figure is the best compromise for you." Well, this $X amount is two-thirds less than ANY amount the CS worksheets are spitting back. Further, any attempt to collect some amount from the previous two years seems to be a non-negotiable point. Lastly, my ex is not willing to take our daughters on a regular basis (in 2012, they stayed with him for a total of 8 days)... yet, my attorney is in agreement that I forgo one exemption....

What am I missing?????? I'm at a loss as to why my attorney is now starting to ignore the reasons she was hired.

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY **sorry new here... asking again.

Ex and I have been legally separated for two years and the divorce was granted a few months ago. Until last week, I was still waiting to have the court hear our custody and child support case. I was not satisfied with the outcome, never went before a judge and walked away wondering why I hired an attorney....

I know I have 10 days to file a motion to re-address both issues, but here is my problem... My attorney is telling me "there are many factors impacting what could result in different figures and I believe the $X figure is the best compromise for you." Well, this $X amount is two-thirds less than ANY amount the CS worksheets are spitting back. Further, any attempt to collect some amount from the previous two years seems to be a non-negotiable point. Lastly, my ex is not willing to take our daughters on a regular basis (in 2012, they stayed with him for a total of 8 days)... yet, my attorney is in agreement that I forgo one exemption....

What am I missing?????? I'm at a loss as to why my attorney is now starting to ignore the reasons she was hired.
How could we know what the "factors" are? Ask him. Ask him your questions and demand specific answers.

smkw92

LoL, Yes. @stealth2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

still no response from attorney....

Oct 15th
Were you still planning on calling me today? I would like to know what factors I have not accounted for. I would greatly appreciate having that information today, as I've been waiting since last week. It seems very straight forward, so I'm unsure what makes my case so complex.

Oct. 11th
I have no idea what factors could account for more than $500. I absolutely disagree that this is a fair compromise, when the numbers don't add up in anyone's favor except his.
I cannot under any series of calculations figure out how you think I'm getting a fair deal.

LdiJ

LoL, Yes. @stealth2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

still no response from attorney....

Oct 15th
Were you still planning on calling me today? I would like to know what factors I have not accounted for. I would greatly appreciate having that information today, as I've been waiting since last week. It seems very straight forward, so I'm unsure what makes my case so complex.

Oct. 11th
I have no idea what factors could account for more than $500. I absolutely disagree that this is a fair compromise, when the numbers don't add up in anyone's favor except his.
I cannot under any series of calculations figure out how you think I'm getting a fair deal.
Take all of your numbers and go get a consult with another attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">