• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whats the law on being served papers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



In serving the other party divorce papers, in the state of Az. is their a time frame by law? for example, my x filed papers on 5/4/2001. I was served these papers on 5/24/2001. I did not sign for these papers. Now, the court doc's state I have 20 days to respond? if we go by the date of the filing, i was served on the 20th day. Isn't there a law that states you have to serve the other party within so many days of the filing? Help?


Senior Member
My response:

It's 20 days from the date you were served - - not from the filing date stamp.

Generally speaking, Court Rules allow Plaintiffs or Petitioners up to 60 days after filing a Complaint or Petition in which to effectuate service of process.

While you might be asked to sign for such documents, there's no necessity to do so. The person that served you the papers will file a "Proof of Service" with the court, declaring that the papers were served to you. That's all that's required.

Good luck to you.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential