• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What's the process for a Civil case, where damages are involved?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sapphirekay

From Hawaii.
I've gone through and met with a number of lawyers so far - same case, but it's as if none of them agree or contradict the other.
In one, I can't sue for lawyers fees and punitive damages, on top of physical; I can try, but it's never awarded; to I can, but it's up to the courts. Filing a demand/request (second one, as the first was ignored - which was just to fix the damages; no lawyers fees or punitive damages) that's larger than a standard policy vs. a commercial policy (which this was a commercial job) would damage my position. (Really want to know about this one) A pre-trial statement. Went into the office saying I wanted to have my claim filed in court, and a date set, as the Demand and other items had already been completed. Now after seemingly going through the initial steps again, I'm stuck at now a pre-trial statement. (This supposedly unless I agree to allow a standard deduction for liability for an individual, vs. the commercial standard)

In any event, what is the process, are two Demands sent normally? How are punitive damages calculated? Because I feel as if I'm getting the run around.

quincy

From Hawaii.
I've gone through and met with a number of lawyers so far - same case, but it's as if none of them agree or contradict the other.
In one, I can't sue for lawyers fees and punitive damages, on top of physical; I can try, but it's never awarded; to I can, but it's up to the courts. Filing a demand/request (second one, as the first was ignored - which was just to fix the damages; no lawyers fees or punitive damages) that's larger than a standard policy vs. a commercial policy (which this was a commercial job) would damage my position. (Really want to know about this one) A pre-trial statement. Went into the office saying I wanted to have my claim filed in court, and a date set, as the Demand and other items had already been completed. Now after seemingly going through the initial steps again, I'm stuck at now a pre-trial statement. (This supposedly unless I agree to allow a standard deduction for liability for an individual, vs. the commercial standard)

In any event, what is the process, are two Demands sent normally? How are punitive damages calculated? Because I feel as if I'm getting the run around.
Could you please clarify? Your post as written is confusing.

You have several attorneys working on your case? What is this case all about?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">