• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When do I need to file taxes for another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member
I spent a month in a different state this last year (2018). I earned most of my income in my home state, but did earn one paycheck ($889.34 taxable) during my one visiting month. Do I need to claim this or file for it? If so, is there a way to accurately do so without a W-2? I only have the pay stub. The W-2 never made it to me.


Senior Member
First off, it very much depends on what the two states involved are, who the employer was, and what the nature of your "visit" and "work" are.
If you were an employee, you should have gotten a W-2, but without it you can reclaim the information from the pay stub. You could have gotten a W-2 if you'd not waited until the last minute to request it (either from the employer or via the IRS). Anyhow, see this form: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4852


Senior Member
Probably today 4/15/19. Most states have synced their filing days with the federal deadline.

But since you didn't tell us what state you are in there isn't much more we can help you with other than your W2. I'm willing to bet that you didn't tell your employer where you moved to so you call them and ask nicely for them to send you a copy of it.
Sponsored Ad