• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When do I push back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi there, I have been seperated from my husband since just after Christmas of 2004, Dec. 28th 2004. I believe I have ground for divorce based on physical forcefullness, waking up to him engaged in intercourse with me when I have told him I dont like it and not to do it. We have 2 children, a house that will be paid off in 7 years, and each a car in our names. To escape waking up to this, I left. I had no where to go to take my children with me, and he and I have decided to get a divorce. He resides in our home with them. After a month of saying he will change, ect..threatening me finacially, saying everything in his name that I use will be cut off, and me not reconciling, we have agreed on divorce.

My questions are: He wants to move 400 miles away within the state of Tx near the border,with our children, can he?

Can I move back into our home and not let him take our children? I cant afford the bills and them on my own, but I could with some kind of financial support from him.

He wants to sell the house for less then it is worth, even less he says just to get it out of his name and on with his life, can he do this without my consent?(joint note)

He is also threatening me telling me if I dont comply with the layout and timeline of his choice, the divorce is going to cost ALOT. I dont have alot, I work fulltime as I have our entire marraige. I will pay what I can, but I do not want to lay down and let him and his desires and hatred toward me push me into signing or doing what I dont want to do regarding my children.

Also, when is bankruptsy an option? His jobs and coercion forced me into letting a repossession go back on my truck a year back and I believe I will have to do this sooner or later to keep my car and house if I get it in the divorce.

Where do I start to keep my kids and our house? I guess that is my bottom line. I dont have any friends who have delt with this kind of divorce to know what he is saying is true or false.

Thanks, Pushed37


Go home please and dont' leave again unless you have somewhere to go that will mean being able to take your children. Once you get back home call around until you find an attorney who will give you a free consultation. Learn what your rights are according to your state law and then abide by them.

Don't ever leave your home without your children. If you do you are setting yourself up for a custody battle you might lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential