• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does a Parenting Plan ends?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

We have all gotten jaded & cynical. Being Friday & the sun being over the yardarm (where I am, anyway!), I hereby order you all to have a drink with lunch!
I will have to delay that order...it's only 9:20 in my TZ. Although...I have O.J. and a bottle of Korbel. Is it ever too early for mimosa's?

Hi everyone. This is the step mom account. My husband has not open his own account yet. He has 3 children with his ex. They are ages 18,16,12. I was not on here to belittle anyone or get belittle by anyone other than to ask a question for my husband. I do understand step parents has no rights or obligations. It was just a question and no I did not get answer. So if you don't mind please just remove me from this site. Thank you

Just Blue

Hi everyone. This is the step mom account. My husband has not open his own account yet. He has 3 children with his ex. They are ages 18,16,12. I was not on here to belittle anyone or get belittle by anyone other than to ask a question for my husband. I do understand step parents has no rights or obligations. It was just a question and no I did not get answer. So if you don't mind please just remove me from this site. Thank you
No one "belittled" you...we just let you know that it is more effective to deal with the actual legal party and the correct way to refer to the children's mother. If that offends you, you are, of course, free to stop visiting this site. Although I hope you are not that thin-skinned. :)

blackwolf9960

I am the father who ask my wife to post however, I was told by my wife I had to open my own account. I had a parenting plan for my daughter here in Missouri. My daughter just turned 18 years old and has a mental disability. She can not be emancipated until she is at the age of 21 years old. Her mom end up with full legal guardianship and conservator over her 3 days before my daughter 18th birthday. I am obligated to continue to pay child support until she is 21 years old. Now my question is
Does the parenting plan automatically expire when my daughter turns 18? Or can a parenting plan last until the age of 21 years old? and I am planning to go back to court over my other two children regarding interference of visitations and more and I wonder when I redo the parenting plan do I add my 18 year old daughter to the parenting plan?

blackwolf9960

Some questions for Dad to answer (sorry, but we really do prefer to deal with one of the legal parties - there are often questions only they can realistically answer, plus it avoids at least one level of mistranslation - remember the old Telephone Game? So please have Dad register under his own user name, He can continue this thread... Thank you!)...

What does the current parenting plan entail? What is the current "issue" with it under question?

What parenting time does Dad have under the above order, and has he utilized his time? If not, why not?

Thank you.

p.s. To touch on the point of the first few posts... a further reason the use of BM is offensive is for the "other" definition - bowel movement. A lot of step-moms (and I'm assuming you are not one of them, you simply saw it as a convenient shorthand) use it as an obvious *dig* at the father's ex - she's nothing but a pile of <feces> and not worthy of (a) Dad or (b) the kid. There is often little love lost between ex-wives and new wives, but it is always wise to remember that there are two sides to the story of every marriage, and a new spouse only hears the one they are given. Behavior after a split is often indicative of what transpired in that marriage, not necessarily a character flaw of the "other" spouse.
I am the father who ask my wife to post however, I was told by my wife I had to open my own account. I had a parenting plan for my daughter here in Missouri. My daughter just turned 18 years old and has a mental disability. She can not be emancipated until she is at the age of 21 years old. Her mom end up with full legal guardianship and conservator over her 3 days before my daughter 18th birthday. I am obligated to continue to pay child support until she is 21 years old. Now my question is
Does the parenting plan automatically expire when my daughter turns 18? Or can a parenting plan last until the age of 21 years old? and I am planning to go back to court over my other two children regarding interference of visitations and more and I wonder when I redo the parenting plan do I add my 18 year old daughter to the parenting plan? In the original parenting plan I have joint legal custody and the mom have physical custody of the three kids every other weekend, two weeks vacations (14) days, certain holidays and pay $675 a month in child support 50% for extraordinary, medical,education and extracurricular expenses.

LdiJ

Does the parenting plan automatically expire when my daughter turns 18? Or can a parenting plan last until the age of 21 years old? and I am planning to go back to court over my other two children regarding interference of visitations and more and I wonder when I redo the parenting plan do I add my 18 year old daughter to the parenting plan? In the original parenting plan I have joint legal custody and the mom have physical custody of the three kids every other weekend, two weeks vacations (14) days, certain holidays and pay $675 a month in child support 50% for extraordinary, medical,education and extracurricular expenses.
No, you cannot add your 18 year old daughter to the parenting plan that you have for your minor children. You can file for visitation of your 18 year old daughter but that would be separate from your parenting plan with your minor children. You might even be able to apply for joint legal guardianship and conservator. Consult an attorney who deals with that area of law.

blackwolf9960

No, you cannot add your 18 year old daughter to the parenting plan that you have for your minor children. You can file for visitation of your 18 year old daughter but that would be separate from your parenting plan with your minor children. You might even be able to apply for joint legal guardianship and conservator. Consult an attorney who deals with that area of law.
Question on Form 14 Child Support Calculation Line 2. Adjustment 2a. Other monthly child support being paid under court or administrative order. Since my 18 year old daughter will not be added to the new parenting plan that I am modifying. Do I add what I pay in child support for her until she is 21 years of age?

blackwolf9960

And on Line 6c. Health insurance costs for children who are the subjects of this proceeding. The mom pays $288 for all three children. Does this change since my 18 year old will not be on this parenting plan?

t74

Are you being proactive or reactive? Has mother objected already to continuing the current plan? If so, what visitation do you now have?

blackwolf9960

I have every other weekend, 2 weeks vacations, certain holidays, pay $675 child support and 50% on all other expenses. I am fitting to go back to court to change this as the mom has interfered with my visits by refusing to allow me my visits. The mom intentionally plan events on my weekend. I have police reports of the mom denying me of my parenting time.
Are you being proactive or reactive? Has mother objected already to continuing the current plan? If so, what visitation do you now have?

t74

I have every other weekend, 2 weeks vacations, certain holidays, pay $675 child support and 50% on all other expenses. I am fitting to go back to court to change this as the mom has interfered with my visits by refusing to allow me my visits. The mom intentionally plan events on my weekend. I have police reports of the mom denying me of my parenting time.
Has visitation been denied for all children or just the 18 yo? I assume the CS is for all and not just the 18 yo. I assume that mom asserting that since DD is 18 that the parenting plan no longer applies. I assume you are both reacting to the visitation problems and trying to be proactive in asking the court to clarify visitation in this atypical situation.

Was there a reason stated why she was appointed sole conservator/guardian? You mention things change when DD is 21. I expect this is ties to the public education requirements. Do you know what is to occur?

blackwolf9960

Visitation has been denied for my 2 minor children and my adult child
Has visitation been denied for all children or just the 18 yo? I assume the CS is for all and not just the 18 yo. I assume that mom asserting that since DD is 18 that the parenting plan no longer applies. I assume you are both reacting to the visitation problems and trying to be proactive in asking the court to clarify visitation in this atypical situation.

Was there a reason stated why she was appointed sole conservator/guardian? You mention things change when DD is 21. I expect this is ties to the public education requirements. Do you know what is to occur?
Visitation has been denied for all the children. My 18 year old daughter has a mental handicap disabilities to prevent her from supporting herself once she graduate high school. The mom went to court and was granted to be my daughter full legal guardianship and conservator upon her 18th birthday. I am obligated to pay child support on my 18 year old until she turns 21 or becomes self support herself which ever comes first. The court found her to not be emancipated until 21 years of age. I am returning to court because the mom had not followed her parenting plan that she establish. She has plan events and other things on my weekends and I have file police reports on these fact. I am stuck on preparing the new parenting plan so I can take mom back to court to change the parenting plan. I am having trouble because since my 18 year old is consider as an adult I'm not sure if I am to add her to the new parenting plan since the judge granted her to shall not be emancipated until 21 years old.

t74

Immediately file for contempt for the younger children's visitation while you sort out the situation for the 18 yo. If this DD is used to attending activities with the younger and becomes upset, this might encourage mom to relent and let all visit together.

I suggest you contact your local support group for families of the mentally disabled. They likely will know of attorneys interested and knowledgeable and who might be willing to work with you on fees. They will also be able to discuss their experiences with long term care for adult disabled children.

Since this child is unlikely to become truly independent, you have long term issues that need to be addressed, The funding for services for the mentally handicapped vary by state and the typical is unlikely to provide DD other than a minimal subsistence. You need to be worried about your estate plan (such as a supplemental needs trust) to give your DD the best possible life once you and mom are gone.

You and mom really need to come together. Overlook that mom has been granted guardianship/conservatorship. It is often too difficult to deal with two individuals when quick decisions are needed. Worry about what will happen if mom dies or becomes incapable of managing DD's affairs. You need to be able to step in without having to deal with the state having taken over DD's care. You need to be kept informed and have good documentation in case you need to step in.

Mom denying DD the opportunity to visit you is inexcusable, IMO. Both of you need to be flexible about schedules, etc. Recall that the younger children are likely at ages where they have activities on your time. Some may not be appropriate for your eldest.

Inquire of mom about her long term expectations. Try to find a way for the two of you to cooperate on a long term plan. Your daughter needs both of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">