• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does Child Support end???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Thanks, they make it such a pain for the Dad, the Mom is fine with it being cut in half but she can be greedy too. It just sucks, wouldn’t want to be fair to a Dad that’s been paying especially since South Dakota is the number one state for Dads not paying. Ridiculous.
Got a citation for that? I'm intrigued.

justalayman

Ldpete, a friend of mine was paying support on three daughters. One aged out so friend went to his attorney to see about having support lowered. The attorney told him that due to my friends current rate of pay compared to his pay at the time support was last set, not only would the payments not be reduced, they would actually increase.

Sometimes it’s better to just be quiet.

Not saying you are in the same situation but I suggest you run numbers through a support calculator before pulling the trigger on this.

And btw: to answer your thread title question:

Never.

While many parents are asked to continue to help (synonym for support) their children financially forEVER, in the bigger sense, as a parent, we are obligated to support our children their entire life. It isn’t always about money though.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks, they make it such a pain for the Dad, the Mom is fine with it being cut in half but she can be greedy too. It just sucks, wouldn’t want to be fair to a Dad that’s been paying especially since South Dakota is the number one state for Dads not paying. Ridiculous.
Mom is likely trying to be non-confrontational with you. There's a reason she's not with you, and it's not because she thinks you're too charming.

It is not "greedy" to want to stick with state guidelines, especially since a 13 year old is (usually) more expensive than, say, a 9 year old. Or at least that's been my experience.

LdiJ

There are actually logical reasons why child support does not cut in half or could actually go up if recalculated. A first child actually adds more cost to a household than a second child does, and a third child (or more) adds even less. Therefore its ultimately fairer to dad's with multiple children from the same mother, to get a break on the child support for second, third or more children.

Child support is designed to be recalculated when income goes up or down. People often however, either do not realize that, or opt not to file for a modification when there is a change in income. The payor has an incentive not to modify if their income has gone up.

LDPete

I would get completely screwed in a new calculation, not so much because of my pay but because she can hide her income because she works for her live in boyfriend and cash is king.

LDPete

Mom is likely trying to be non-confrontational with you. There's a reason she's not with you, and it's not because she thinks you're too charming.

It is not "greedy" to want to stick with state guidelines, especially since a 13 year old is (usually) more expensive than, say, a 9 year old. Or at least that's been my experience.
Please don’t try to judge why we’re not together, we actually get along great, have raised incredible kids, get along with each other’s significant other and actually do things together. The child support is just a pain but I would expect nothing less with the government involved ☹

thedivorcelaw

I do not disagree with this advice but its incomplete.

Child support does not divide in half when one of two children ages out. It is recalculated. If your income has increased at all since child support was originally set I strongly recommend that you google for an online child support calculator for your state and run some numbers before you file for a modification. Sometimes a modification ends up with child support increasing rather than decreasing when its recalculated.
I agree with. Think twice before going to the court. Might be recalculation will increase your child support than decreasing.

PayrollHRGuy

I agree with. Think twice before going to the court. Might be recalculation will increase your child support than decreasing.
This is a month old thread. Please try not to necropost as the OP is generally not around.

Your name would seem to indicate you are a lawyer. Are you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">