• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when does child support officially end?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tandc

We live in Maine and want to know when child support officially ends. Is it when the child reaches her 18th birthday? OR is it when she graduates from high school? It doesn't state an age in the divorce settlement. It just says her father will pay child support to the "minor child". Thank you for your advice.

T

tandc

termination of child support at age 18

Dear Ambr,
We read your response, and you said that Maine law states that we should pay support up to age 18 unless it was issued before 1990. In looking at the link that you referenced, it says after 1990 not before. Would you please clarify? The child support was first established before 1990 in our case. Thanks very much.

Ambr

oops...sorry about that. was a typo on my part.

i was trying to reference the information from the link that i gave you. another reason why i listed the link. that way you could read the info yourself. they also had a contact information section at the bottom of the page.

of course, this is all web information and you need to double check everything to make sure it is the latest and greatest. if they haven't update their sites it may not be accurate information.

unfortunately, we are all at the mercy of the web site administrators. hope and pray they are religious on their updates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">