• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When does divorce end?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dsmichael1

When does a divorce in CA become final? My ex wife is collecting spousal support and has been since 2019. She is now asking for additional money even after taking half of my retirement. I understand the longevity rule, but I do not understand how she can continue to ask for additional money even if she refuses to work.

LdiJ

When does a divorce in CA become final? My ex wife is collecting spousal support and has been since 2019. She is now asking for additional money even after taking half of my retirement. I understand the longevity rule, but I do not understand how she can continue to ask for additional money even if she refuses to work.
I suspect that your divorce was final a long time ago. Are you really meaning "when does spousal support end"? If so, your divorce paperwork should spell that out. It is however possible for spousal support to be permanent if it was a long term marriage. It is also possible for it to be modifiable in some circumstances. Again, refer to your paperwork and if you still have questions, consult your divorce attorney.

zddoodah

When does a divorce in CA become final?
Kinda depends on what you mean by "become final," but one answer would be when the court enters a judgment of dissolution and the time to appeal the judgment has expired. Note that I'm not sure what this question has to do with the rest of your post.

My ex wife is collecting spousal support and has been since 2019. She is now asking for additional money even after taking half of my retirement.
I assume "taking half of your retirement" means that the court ruled, as part of the division of community property, that she was entitled to 50% of the value of some sort of pension plan or IRA or some other similar asset. Correct? Note that the division of community property is a separate issue from support obligations.

When you say that she is "now asking for additional money," what exactly does that mean? Is she asking that the spousal support obligation be increased? Has she filed a petition for an increase? If so, on what basis is she seeking the increase?

I do not understand how she can continue to ask for additional money even if she refuses to work.
I'm not sure what's difficult to understand. Anyone can ask anyone for anything. Just because someone asks for something doesn't mean he/she is entitled to it. If you want an assessment of your ex's likelihood of getting the spousal support obligation increased (if, in fact, that's what she's seeking), you'll need to start by answering the questions I asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">