• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when does life insurance cancellation kick in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Eebee

What is the name of your state? California

My mom died of a prolonged illness in July of 2003. 18 weeks later, my dad died suddenly (probably of loneliness) on November 24. He was entirely lucid, etc.

For reasons that we do not know, my dad cancelled his life insurance policy for a very large benefit sum, by means of a hand-scrawled note that he dated November1, mailed to the insurer.

Does this mean that I have no right to pursue collection of the benefits? Is 24 days enough to cancel a policy? Did the letter that he sent definitively cancel the policy? I have heard "rumors" from amateur attorneys that there may be a 30 day waiting period before a cancellation takes effect, but I cannot find a good source for this kind of information.

Thank you...

Bigfoot

You'll have to specify the type of insurance your father carried. If it was a term policy, then likely it immediately expired, unless he was paying on it quarterly, semi or annually.

If he carried a whole life policy there may be cash value built up inside that would be due to the beneficiary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">