• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When to apply for SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3westiebabies

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
I was diagnosed with lung cancer this past January 08. I had chemo and radiation therapy until April and during that time only made it into work maybe 4 hours every other week, if that. My boss had told me not to worry about my job, that I should just concentrate on getting well. I'm sure he never expected for me to lose this much time from work.
Since April I have been hospitalized 4 times with various problems that have come up as a result of the cancer. Blood clots in lung. Collapsed lung. All kinds of things. And, as before I was out over a week while in the hospital for each stay and once home needed another week of recoup time (currently I am home - again with stitches all over my back from a botched attempt at draining my collapsed lung) I have no strength any more. I am on oxygen 24 hours a day. I can't walk more then a few feet without assistance. I have become so weak from this that there are days, weeks where I can't even get out of bed.
So, here is my question. I know that my boss is not going to continue to pay me full pay forever. In fact, I spoke with him a few weeks ago and he told me that he's actually considering closing our facility because business has dropped so badly. Obviously I can't work. I haven't the energy or breath power to sustain any form of anything for longer then 10 minutes at a time. Who would hire me? So when do I file for SSDI? I am the main bread winner in the house and without my salary my husband and I are going to sink like a stone. My hope is that the cancer goes into remission, I learn to breath again and can get back out and be a productive member of society again. I don't want to stay home all the time but I don't have the strength to do anything but that. When do I file? Do I need a lawyer first or wait until I've been rejected? (I hear that's S.O.P)

tranquility

I'm truly sorry for your struggle. I believe you should apply as soon as your disability begins. I think it has begun. I don't think the SSDI will kick in for 6 months after you are disabled so you have to try to make plans for that time as well.

As a gift all people should give their significant others, not just those with major illnesses, you should make up a health care power of attorney and living will, a will and a durable power of attorney. A trust may be appropriate as well. Your state may have stautory forms to do this. It is not a prediction of what may happen, it is an expression of love to make things easier if bad things happen.

My wife is going through hard times with cancer too. She is an angel in my life right now as each day she chooses to do some act to make things in the world better (even if it is just to clean the sink), she chooses to treat everyone around her fairly and she chooses to have fun. Every day. Even when she spent the day in a bad place for whatever reason.

Don't let anyone tell you what is going to happen. Cancer is only statistics even to the people who know. You only really care about how *you* will react. You are unique and anyone's prediction is merely a guess.

Still, statistics have power and educated guesses can't be ignored. Live your life appropriately.

momm2500

my heart goes out to you. i know my son is dealing with lung and heart cancer right now at 24 (way too young). Contact SS right away. There are actual forms on their web site that you can complete. Once you have done that, you can have a phone interview with the local SS representative. As for receiving SSDI benefits there is at least a 5 month wait till payments kick in if you are approved. There are many forms that have to be completed by your doctor as well. Contact them today! good luck and god bless!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">