• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where and how to sue DHL for damaged shipment and for the hardship, they caused me due to the way they handled my case? ASK A LAWYER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

LOL, do you have any objective source to back that up? The question is, of course, rhetorical. There won’t be any such study out there comparing you and me with the wider world of potential jurors in whatever county the OP might try his case. I'm not surprised that you would think more jurors are like you. Human nature is that people tend to think others will agree with their positions more than they will disagree
I feel I’ve said all i can to convince you of my point so I figured I would answer this as a last question even though you posed it as rhetorical.

You’s: attornies or other well compensated white collar workers who probably know how to escape jury duty

Me: well, let’s just say I don’t fit in the “you’s” group.

callymo2j

Callymo2j,

I'm truly not being sarcastic, I feel for you as similar happened to me once. For future reference, there are some really great backup programs out there, and some where you need not dig for individual files or worry that you forgot something. You simply use thew backup program to make a "clone" backup of your drive. Worst case, you buy a large enough HDD, and re-clone it using this backup. I have a multi-terabyte drive with about a terabyte of space used up. When I do a backup on my machine it takes about 10-15 minutes. AND peace of mind.
I understand what you mean but what happened to the unexpected? My wife new thought that this will happen. It's like blaming a movie going for not wearing a bulletproof vest when going to see a movie. I can bet you that majority of people don't have a backup of their files because of various reasons. If my wife had the slightest thought that this will happen, she would have made a copy and she will not buy insurance. She bought insurance as a last minute thing suggested by the DASC.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I feel I’ve said all i can to convince you of my point so I figured I would answer this as a last question even though you posed it as rhetorical.

You’s: attornies or other well compensated white collar workers who probably know how to escape jury duty

Me: well, let’s just say I don’t fit in the “you’s” group.
I too think we have reached a point where we will just have to agree to disagree. I see your point, but hope you see that others, Iike me, may see it a bit differently. After all, that is why we have trials and why juries are made up of typically 6 or 12 people.

As for the you & me, well, fair enough when you make the distinction the way you did. :LOL: I had in mind something quite different, so I'm glad you clarified it. However, it really does vary from place to place and from one panel to another. When I last served on a jury in DC three of the jurors, including me, were lawyers, and nearly all the rest were federal & DC government workers. The rules in DC do not allow lawyers to escape jury duty (as apparently some other jurisdictions do) and the rules for service pretty much make it impossible for government workers to get out of service, too. After all, government workers get paid their full salary each day for attending jury duty, so they don't risk losing any money, unlike employees of private companies and self-employed people who may only get paid the paltry jury service fee of $30/day. The judges are bit sympathetic to the claims of those latter folks that serving would be an undue hardship for them.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I understand what you mean but what happened to the unexpected? My wife new thought that this will happen. It's like blaming a movie going for not wearing a bulletproof vest when going to see a movie. I can bet you that majority of people don't have a backup of their files because of various reasons. If my wife had the slightest thought that this will happen, she would have made a copy and she will not buy insurance. She bought insurance as a last minute thing suggested by the DASC.
Talk to a local civil litigation attorney to see what you might realistically expect if you sued the shipper. Take copies of all the documents, explain what happened, and see what he/she says. I think that not making a copy could be a problem, but there is nothing that say for sure it would be a problem. On the issue of making a copy before sending it a lot depends on how you frame the argument and what the judge or jury hearing the case thinks a prudent person would do in that situation. As the discussion between me and justalayman shows, people can have differing views. A local lawyer would have a better sense how the judges/juries in your area would come out on that and can also tell you how the other issues that have been raised here, like the measure of damages and any contractual limitation of liability, are likely to go.

callymo2j

I want to thank everyone for the generous contributions of insights, thoughts, opinions, facts, and ideas. This experience is one that I am so privileged to have and has further increased my respect for the legal community. I am in the health industry and many times almost on daily basis, we are faced with litigation in our work environment that we are always vigilant and some are scared to do even thing we consider normal. For learning purposes and for a guide to those who may encounter similar experience as myself, I have decided to sue in a small claims court. I want to use the wealth of knowledge that has been shared here as a weapon to pursue this case and I make a pledge to share every step of the way here including the final outcome. Now, I would like ideas on how to write my complaint, what I should include and not include. I need to know what I have to put in my prayers and who to name in this lawsuit. I will need every little detail possible that your learned persons may suggest in order to get this case won. I also understand that every advice given here cannot be taken as a legal advice + all the other disclaimers. Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue who for what?
Your damages are not only slight, they are contractually limited. In fact (and I haven't dug through the contract), you may end up paying their attorney's fees when you lose your suit.

callymo2j

Sue who for what?
Your damages are not only slight, they are contractually limited. In fact (and I haven't dug through the contract), you may end up paying their attorney's fees when you lose your suit.
Maybe you should first read what others have said, read all my comments and take some time to dig through the contract before protecting a loss in this suit. Thanks

Zigner

Maybe you should first read what others have said, read all my comments and take some time to dig through the contract before protecting a loss in this suit. Thanks
I believe it is you who ought to go back and read the items again, keeping in mind that the attorney who has posted to this thread leans more towards my way of thinking.

Having said that, I have to ask you these questions. First, who put the date on the drive? Second, where did that data come from? Third, have you asked the original photographer if s/he still has copies of the data?

quincy

I believe it is you who ought to go back and read the items again, keeping in mind that the attorney who has posted to this thread leans more towards my way of thinking.

Having said that, I have to ask you these questions. First, who put the date on the drive? Second, where did that data come from? Third, have you asked the original photographer if s/he still has copies of the data?
Your questions were already answered in the thread somewhere. Apparently the original photographer deleted the original photos so they can't be replaced that way.

Zigner

Your questions were already answered in the thread somewhere. Apparently the original photographer deleted the original photos so they can't be replaced that way.
That doesn't answer the first two questions.

Zigner

Ok, there are a couple of things (quoted below) that you didn't address. Why was the import duty amount so high? And, do you have proof of how the drive was packaged?

Having said that, let's assume I'm completely wrong. The total damages you are entitled to would be the insured amount ($2,000) and you can't sue for that in Australia (although I'm not sure if you're still there or...?)

Even with AUS's high import duties and customs charges, that seems over the top.

Personally I find it difficult to believe your hdd was tossed into some large box with no packaging materials to stop movement. It sounds so implausible given the business they are in. Hopefully you took pictures of the box with no stuffing when you opened it.

Just Blue

I want to thank everyone for the generous contributions of insights, thoughts, opinions, facts, and ideas. This experience is one that I am so privileged to have and has further increased my respect for the legal community. I am in the health industry and many times almost on daily basis, we are faced with litigation in our work environment that we are always vigilant and some are scared to do even thing we consider normal. For learning purposes and for a guide to those who may encounter similar experience as myself, I have decided to sue in a small claims court. I want to use the wealth of knowledge that has been shared here as a weapon to pursue this case and I make a pledge to share every step of the way here including the final outcome. Now, I would like ideas on how to write my complaint, what I should include and not include. I need to know what I have to put in my prayers and who to name in this lawsuit. I will need every little detail possible that your learned persons may suggest in order to get this case won. I also understand that every advice given here cannot be taken as a legal advice + all the other disclaimers. Thanks
My my. You expect a lot from the volunteers on this site. You actually expect "us" to design your case for you for free. Wow. Not only is that against the TOS of this site but would be considered an UPL. If you are not capable of filling out your small claims paperwork you need to hire an attorney to do so for you.

callymo2j

My my. You expect a lot from the volunteers on this site. You actually expect "us" to design your case for you for free. Wow. Not only is that against the TOS of this site but would be considered an UPL. If you are not capable of filling out your small claims paperwork you need to hire an attorney to do so for you.
I asked for suggestions and ideas. I do not expect anyone to write it for me. I understand what this forum is all about and I have benefitted immensely from the free knowledge available here. If you read what I said carefully, you will understand that I am going ahead to pursue this case in the small claims court so that I can share my experience and the account here for others to learn. Feel free to make your own suggestions but am not obligated to take it at the end of the day.

jimnyc

I can bet you that a lot more people than you think DO in fact do regular backups. I do a full backup once per month and incremental backups in between. I know of quite a few others as I'm the one who set it up for them. I worked for Sony and a huge law firm - and every machine was appropriately backed up. And why? Because the data on the drives were considered important. If I had data on a drive that you speak of, I would no doubt have several backups kept in several areas. I'm not claiming that anything wrong was done by yourself or your wife, just a suggestion for the future. What can take minutes to complete can sure save a lot of headaches.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">