• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where do these claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alicia.J.May

I'm in the state of Washington.

So I've read on this forum and others about the types of claim categories. My question is do these fall into one of the categories and how should I present them to the insurance company.

Background: Son and I were in accident. Woman ran red light. Car totaled. Son only has had slight back pain. I had severe lower back pain at the accident and transported to hospital.

So where do these fall in the claim, if they can.

1) My son and I were on the way to play in his State Cup soccer games. I pay 2k plus a year for my son to play premier soccer. State Cup is what you work for all season. He and I (who enjoy watching very much) missed the game due to the accident. We were actually two blocks from the field where it happened. There was a game the following day (we spent night in hotel) and coach allowed him to play. So what I'm trying to figure out is how to claim against this and how I may determine a value. It was a very important event for him and I to miss.

2) I'm in the process of closing on a new home. Now with the accident I will not be able to move without someone else being needed to do heavy lifting and I cannot help with cleaning of our current residence when we move out. Accident happend last week and we are closing in about 1 week.

3) I know I can account for missed time at work. Right now 1 weeks worth. The issue is I have suffered from anxiety because we just had a layoff at my company and having to miss work at a critical time with the company is struggling has been stressful.

4) Due to the accident a soccer team's family had to assist with picking us up from hospital, driving to pharmacy, driving to get our stuff out of car from tow yard and evently home. There are no real reciepts for this but I would like to reimburse them.

Thanks for any advice on categorizing these.

quincy

Why do you want to "categorize" the expenses you've incurred as a result of your accident?

Did you report your accident to your insurance company?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Report this accident to your insurance company if you carry any coverage that pays you for damages caused by others and to the other driver's insurance company. You might want to get an attorney to represent you in this claim. You certainly will need one if you need to sue the other driver, and getting an attorney on board now can help with negotiating with the other driver's insurance company.

You can ask for compensation for all the things you listed if you want, but realistically you won't get much for you missing the state cup other than the cost of the ticket for admission to that particular game. You paid $2,000 for your kid to play soccer all season; it wasn't so he could play that one game. As important as that one game feels to you., most of that $2,000 is really attributable to all the other soccer activities he did during the year. He got the benefit of all that, so the other driver should not have to pay anywhere close to $2,000 for a single missed game.

You also don't get anything for the gift you want to give friends for their help.

adjusterjack

The following are suggestions based on my experience in the insurance business. Whether they work for you or not is impossible to predict.

1) My son and I were on the way to play in his State Cup soccer games. I pay 2k plus a year for my son to play premier soccer. State Cup is what you work for all season. He and I (who enjoy watching very much) missed the game due to the accident. We were actually two blocks from the field where it happened. There was a game the following day (we spent night in hotel) and coach allowed him to play. So what I'm trying to figure out is how to claim against this and how I may determine a value. It was a very important event for him and I to miss.
Divide the $2000 by the number of games in the season. Your son missed one game. You are entitled to the fraction of the $2000 that applies to one game, assuming he can play for the rest of the season.

2) I'm in the process of closing on a new home. Now with the accident I will not be able to move without someone else being needed to do heavy lifting and I cannot help with cleaning of our current residence when we move out. Accident happend last week and we are closing in about 1 week.
If you cannot do that work because of your injury HIRE out the work to professionals, PAY them, get receipts. Those expenses should be compensable.

3) I know I can account for missed time at work. Right now 1 weeks worth. The issue is I have suffered from anxiety because we just had a layoff at my company and having to miss work at a critical time with the company is struggling has been stressful.
Yes, lost wages are compensable. Anxiety due to the injury is compensable. Anxiety due to the job situation isn't.

4) Due to the accident a soccer team's family had to assist with picking us up from hospital, driving to pharmacy, driving to get our stuff out of car from tow yard and evently home. There are no real reciepts for this but I would like to reimburse them.
Figure out how many hours they worked. Apply minimum wage to those hours. Have them write you an invoice for that amount. Pay them by check. Submit that with your claim and you might get reimbursed. Give away money with no documentation and you won't.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Divide the $2000 by the number of games in the season. Your son missed one game. You are entitled to the fraction of the $2000 that applies to one game, assuming he can play for the rest of the season.
I disagree with your method of calculation. As was pointed out above, the $2,000 covered much more than just the games. It covered practices, uniforms, team dues, league dues, etc.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I disagree with your method of calculation. As was pointed out above, the $2,000 covered much more than just the games. It covered practices, uniforms, team dues, league dues, etc.
Right. This wasn't a season ticket just to attend or play in X number of games. It was a fee to partcipate in a sports program, which means it pays for practices and perhaps a variety of other things, too, depending on how comprehensive the fee is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">