• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where does this go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thalvorson34

Wisconsin, there was a car that was taken in a breakup. I got though the entire Civil court case to get my car back. The judgement is my favor and the judge orders her to immediately return my car. Instead she vandalized and totalled my car and left it on side of road. Now I am trying to declare this as vandalism though the police, for insurance, but no one has ever even heard of such a case.
Basically a judge ordered the return of property and instead or returning it the other party destroyed it. Is there a Is president or a similar case I can fall back on?

quincy

She has no assets, and already have cash judgment with three return of car.
Was the car insured? Did you report the incident to your insurer?

Did the police really say they had never before heard of a car being vandalized? Did they take your report and are they investigating the woman who allegedly vandalized it?

If this woman has no money or assets, what are you hoping the legal system can do for you?

thalvorson34

Yes insured, working with them but they are giving me issues because of the police report. And yes, that is what the police Sargent told me when I sat with him today, "I never heard of a case where someone was ordered to return property, and just destroyed and abandoned it instead".
And what I am honestly looking from the system is the proper documentation to my insurance can fix/replace my car. But everyone is pointing to someone else and not doing or helping.
Thus the question, is there another case similar that I can point to and say to the police/insurance/whom ever, this happened and this is how it was resolved.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Yes insured, working with them but they are giving me issues because of the police report. And yes, that is what the police Sargent told me when I sat with him today, "I never heard of a case where someone was ordered to return property, and just destroyed and abandoned it instead".
You don't need some similar case to show you insurance company to get paid. She destroyed your property. If that's covered by your insurance policy then the insurer is bound by the contract to pay as set out in that policy. The fact that the sergeant had not heard of that particular fact pattern (and it's not so common that every cop would have encountered it) doesn't make it a challenging legal issue. I'm sure that your insurance adjuster would like the police to characterize the incident in a particular way as that makes it easier for him/her to justify the decision to pay out the claim but the insurer must pay regardless of what the police decide to call it in the police report. Some insurers also have a practice of making you jump through a lot of hoops to get paid because the longer the company holds on to its money, the better it off it is financially.

quincy

And what I am honestly looking from the system is the proper documentation to my insurance can fix/replace my car. But everyone is pointing to someone else and not doing or helping.
Thus the question, is there another case similar that I can point to and say to the police/insurance/whom ever, this happened and this is how it was resolved.
Thanks for answering my questions. The fuller quote from the Sergeant makes sense. It is unusual that the property was not simply returned - but maybe a little less odd given an angry or upset ex was involved. ;)

Good luck with your insurance company.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">