• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to file and exemptions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? tx
I have lived in Texas for the past 2 years and have recently moved out of state. What are the rules for where you can file for Ch. 7? Also, what are the exemptions for a vehicle/personal possessions in Texas?


Senior Member
Residency requirements are typcially 6 months to file in the state. If you haven't been in your new state for at least 6 months, you'll have to file in TX or wait until you get to 6mos in your new location.

Exemptions in TX are very generous, up to 30K for single, 60K for a couple filing together.

Here's a link to the TX exemptions: http://www.thebankruptcysite.com/exemptions/texas.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential