• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to send a Petition with respect to Game Department Laws in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suerra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Hi,
a friend of mine rescued 4 wild birds that have now been confiscated by a game department officer.
She wants to get the birds back, avoid that they will be put down or released because they would be unable to survive in the wild. If she starts a petition, where does she have to send it? Which authority has it to be addressed in Pennsylvania?
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
Hi,
a friend of mine rescued 4 wild birds that have now been confiscated by a game department officer.
She wants to get the birds back, avoid that they will be put down or released because they would be unable to survive in the wild. If she starts a petition, where does she have to send it? Which authority has it to be addressed in Pennsylvania?
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Birds. Good grief.

Google sent me here: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pgc/9106

suerra

They were confiscated because in the state of Pennsylvania you are not allowed to take wild birds in and/or keep them as pets. As far as I understand you're not allowed to rescue them other than bring them to a rehabber. The problem here was that the only rehabber my friend could find would not answer her emails nor pick up the phone. ( Just trying to give a brief overview without making things too complicated.)
Anyway, the question still is: "Where to send a petition with respect to the game department"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They were confiscated because in the state of Pennsylvania you are not allowed to take wild birds in and/or keep them as pets. As far as I understand you're not allowed to rescue them other than bring them to a rehabber. The problem here was that the only rehabber my friend could find would not answer her emails nor pick up the phone. ( Just trying to give a brief overview without making things too complicated.)
Anyway, the question still is: "Where to send a petition with respect to the game department"
It's a moot question. She is not allowed to have them.

quincy

Silverplum provided you with the best link, to the Pennsylvania Game Commission. There is a "contact us" you can make use of on the site, or you can call or write a letter. Again, the link is:
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pgc/9106

There is also the Schuylkill Center you can contact, either by phone (215-482-8217) or through their website at http://www.schuylkillcenter.org/departments/wildlife/.

Zigner is correct that Pennsylvania law says you cannot take in wild animals or keep them as pets. If your goal is to make sure that the birds are rehabilitated, and not killed or released into the wild before they are able to survive on their own, either one of the above links will put you in contact with those who can help you ensure the safety of the birds. There are also organizations in Pennsylvania that work with specific birds and animal breeds.

I am unclear, I guess, what the "petition" would be for - unless you and your friend have some desire to change the law, or to petition for an exception to the law in your case.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I am unclear, I guess, what the "petition" would be for - unless you and your friend have some desire to change the law, or to petition for an exception to the law in your case.
Exactly. If the OP wants the law changed then she should lobby her legislator(s).

I don't see a petition having any effect upon a government agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">