• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which county has the right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yote

What is the name of your state? North Carolina / I'm purchasing a lot that is situated on the county line. Half of my home will be in Surry County, NC and the other half will be in Stokes County, NC. Does anyone have any idea what the determining factor is for which county will I will be paying taxes to and which county will my kids attend school in? If anyone knows what the deciding factor is please respond. Thanks! Yote

seniorjudge

yote said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina / I'm purchasing a lot that is situated on the county line. Half of my home will be in Surry County, NC and the other half will be in Stokes County, NC. Does anyone have any idea what the determining factor is for which county will I will be paying taxes to and which county will my kids attend school in? If anyone knows what the deciding factor is please respond. Thanks! Yote
You will be paying taxes in the county where you have assets. Since you are in two counties, you will be paying two tax bills. Ask the school district the school question....

xylene

One child will go to Surry, the other to Strokes... You will pay taxes to both on the full value of your house ;) Probably not but...
It would seem certain that their are many complexities to this situation, far beyond what you have laid out or could be laid out on an anonymous internet forum. Exact details, site plans, codes....

If you don't have a lawyer involved in your pendding transaction, you desperately need one. Or if your lawyer cannot answer these questions you desperately need one who can. Your ability to build the home you want could be at stake or very complicated without expert local knowledge.

nextwife

Have you contacted the municipalities and obtained any information IN WRITING regarding school assignment?

As to taxes, on those transactions I have been involved with which overlap counties/municipalities, what I've seen done is the owner gets TWO tax bills, each municipality billing for their portion of the property.

yote

I have contacted the school board in Surry County (where my child currently attends and hopes to continue to attend) and it was verbally stated that as long as the residence was listed as Surry County there would not be an issue. One of my friends stated that it would depend on where the driveway and rural mailbox was as to whether it would be listed as a Surry County or Stokes County address.

As far as the taxes go, I don't mine paying taxes to either county or both counties since they both have similar tax rates as long as I'm not paying 200%!

I think I will contact a local attorney and work through all of this before building.

Thanks for the advice... Yote

yote

nextwife said:
Can't the owner provide copies of past tax bills so you can see what they've done in the past?
No, the current owner purchased the land as a farm and subdivided it into restricted lots. He paid two tax bills, but there was not a home involved... only land.

xylene

You rrrrrrreaaallly ought to talk to your own local lawyer...

Firm answers and protection....

Or "My friend told me" ???

Which which would give you a better value.

yote

xylene said:
You rrrrrrreaaallly ought to talk to your own local lawyer...

Firm answers and protection....

Or "My friend told me" ???

Which which would give you a better value.
Yep, Yep... I agree. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">