• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which State Holds Jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? MT

My ex has our son for the summer, however, everytime he gets mad at me he threatens to keep him and take me to court to reverse the decision of custodial parent. I have full custody and he has visitation. We divorced in South Dakota, however I moved to Montana 4 yrs ago and he moved to Ia on the border of Missouri 3 years ago.

So my question would be can he reverse the courts on custodial parent and then which court would have jurisdiction?


Under the Radar Member
Until one of you petitions to have jurisdiction changed, SD is it. However, it should properly be moved to the state where the child resides, with you.


Junior Member
Thank you, How do I go about that, do I have to retain a lawyer to do it or is there some kind of papers I can file myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential