• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whistleblower-Supervisor Harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hlbeard

Shortly after taking a new job with the State I discovered fraud that was occurring with the applicants for a tax credit program. At the same time of discovery I also got a new boss. I spoke up several times about the fraud that was occurring to both my new boss and our director, of which they continued to push me down or give excuses. I unfortunately also had several health issues come up during this time. My boss started exclusively pushing certain things that only I was required to do in the event of my absences...while other co-workers were missing just as much if not more and they did not have the same requirements. I also had never been required to do such when working under other agencies with the state. After a disturbing encounter with my new boss, I expressed my grievances to HR and had just outed the department on the fraud to the auditors office of the state, of which I was advised at the point that I was free to say whatever that I was protected as a whistle blower. My boss continued to continuously be down my back regardless that I was told that he could no longer do so. I quit my position just over 3 weeks ago because of my bosses treatment to me.

I am wondering if I have legal options in this situation and what they would be and that this is in the State of Missouri.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's unfortunate.

Although you didn't ask a question, your best bet is still going to be to speak to a local attorney in whatever unnamed state you are posting from.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thank you for sharing your story. When you have a legal question, be sure to let us know. And if you do, please let us know what state you are in. It really does matter.

hlbeard

Thank you for sharing your story. When you have a legal question, be sure to let us know. And if you do, please let us know what state you are in. It really does matter.
Thank you edited to show that I am looking to see if I have any legal options and I am in the State of Missouri.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Additionally, being a whistleblower does not make you bulletproof. The fact that you missed a lot of time is a valid and legal reason for discipline or even termination, and unless the other employees who missed a similar amount of time were also new employees, it doesn't matter how they were treated.

hlbeard

The fact that you quit is extremely unfortunate. You should speak to a local attorney.
That is what I figured so I was hesitant to even ask if anything could be done, I was mentally spent after dealing with it for almost 2 years and after his last action towards me I mentally couldn't take being there anymore and I didn't want to risk not being able to be hired by the state in the future.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That is what I figured so I was hesitant to even ask if anything could be done, I was mentally spent after dealing with it for almost 2 years and after his last action towards me I mentally couldn't take being there anymore and I didn't want to risk not being able to be hired by the state in the future.
It's very unfortunate that you didn't speak with legal counsel prior to quitting.

commentator

Whoever advised you that "at this point I was free to say whatever as I was protected as a whistleblower" may have given you some very bad advice. Okay, it's possible that the fraud you were reporting to the supervisors and to the director, and eventually to the state auditors may not have been the type of fraud that makes you a legitimate whistleblower. There are a few things that go on in a lot of departments that may or may not be considered fraud, and maybe are not really direct fraud, but perhaps performance issues, etc. And then, even if it did provide you with whistleblower protection, it doesn't sound like anything happened that you could show was the result of your whistleblowing. You quit, without making sure you did have any sort of protection, checking with anyone legal about it, and ultimately that's going to be the end of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">