• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

White Collar Financial Crime Storyline Help Needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CinMes

I am writing a novel and I'm looking for some suggestions from people who know the law (I know very little!). The protagonist in the story is a partner in a firm that provides financial capital for commercial real estate, and he is facing indictment for embezzling money from his firm. I have a couple of issues that I need to work out with this character:

1) How long can someone plausibly get away with this kind of activity before arousing suspicion and/or getting caught?

2) Is it plausible that someone could be facing these types of charges and still be able to remain within the community while awaiting indictment/trial?

3) What would be the official charge against someone engaging in this type of crime?

4) The protagonist will ultimately end up being convicted of the crime in this storyline and will go to jail. What I would like to know is how much jail time would he likely be facing?

5) What are some of the potential issues/problems with this storyline that I haven't foreseen?

The story is set in Vancouver, BC, Canada, but any advice would be helpful, even if it comes from outside of BC or Canada.

I would be so grateful for any help, suggestions or ideas anyone could provide. I would be willing to attribute credit for such help when this novel is published. I really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer me. Thanks so much!

quincy

In the U.S., laws vary from state to state, often in substantial ways. The laws in the U.S. vary in even greater ways from the laws in other countries.

FreeAdvice addresses real legal concerns that involve US laws only. The majority of forum members will also not play around with hypothetical questions or do homework for students or assist writers with their novels.

I suggest you find an online writer’s workshop based in Canada to help you.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">