• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who can look at minor records after 18?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

i was wondering if it is legal or not for a school to view your criminal history as a minor when investigating a current behavioral problem.
a friend of mine is involved in a problem that was investigated by the police department where they unsealed his/her records as a minor. he has not been involved in any crime since the age of 18 so his adult record is clean. but the school is going to try to use his past run ins with the law against him. i am under the impression that it isn't their right to see or know what he has done previously. and if they have already been made privy to the information they are not allowed to take it into consideration in his punishment. he was not guilty of any crime and can't be charged in the court system but the school wants to make him pay. can they do this?? thanks for any help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 123456:
i was wondering if it is legal or not for a school to view your criminal history as a minor when investigating a current behavioral problem.
a friend of mine is involved in a problem that was investigated by the police department where they unsealed his/her records as a minor. he has not been involved in any crime since the age of 18 so his adult record is clean. but the school is going to try to use his past run ins with the law against him. i am under the impression that it isn't their right to see or know what he has done previously. and if they have already been made privy to the information they are not allowed to take it into consideration in his punishment. he was not guilty of any crime and can't be charged in the court system but the school wants to make him pay. can they do this?? thanks for any help.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Not without Notice, and a court order to have the records unsealed. To do so, there had better be a very good reason, otherwise the minor's privacy rights have been breached.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">