• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who get's custody if you're not married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maximoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I have a 7 month old with the man I have been in a relationship for the past four years. His name appears on the birth certificate. If we decided to split can either one of us just take off with the child with no consiquence? I am concerned about him fleeing one day. What does Florida law state? Can or should I file for interum custody? Do I have to have an attorney in order to do so?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I have a 7 month old with the man I have been in a relationship for the past four years. His name appears on the birth certificate. If we decided to split can either one of us just take off with the child with no consiquence? I am concerned about him fleeing one day. What does Florida law state? Can or should I file for interum custody? Do I have to have an attorney in order to do so?
You never NEED an attorney quite frankly. Though you may make a royal mess of things without one. If his name is on the birth certificate then he is the legal father. There would be consequences if either one of you just split. You could be hauled into court. Court orders can protect everyone involved. However why are you with you someone who you believe will "flee" one day?

Maximoe

Ohiogal, you seem to be one of the few on this site that knows what they are talking about. To answer your question, I didn't get with him feeling that way...it progressed over the last year and a half. I fear he would flee with her because it is the one thing he could do to me an destroy me...does that make sense? I would be devistated if I came home from work to find that he had taken off with our child and I didn't know where.

I should reclarify my question, if that were to happen, he left with her, could I call the police in the state of Florida and would they do anything or would I be told it is a civil matter?

I am trying to avoid anything at all from happening...I would love for everything to work out and our child grow up in a loving home with both of her parents, but I just want to have my bases covered...Please advise:)

Last edited:

LdiJ

Ohiogal, you seem to be one of the few on this site that knows what they are talking about. To answer your question, I didn't get with him feeling that way...it progressed over the last year and a half. I fear he would flee with her because it is the one thing he could do to me an destroy me...does that make sense? I would be devistated if I came home from work to find that he had taken off with our child and I didn't know where.

I should reclarify my question, if that were to happen, he left with her, could I call the police in the state of Florida and would they do anything or would I be told it is a civil matter?

I am trying to avoid anything at all from happening...I would love for everything to work out and our child grow up in a loving home with both of her parents, but I just want to have my bases covered...Please advise:)
Most likely the police would tell you that its a civil matter, and you would have to take it to court.

tuffbrk

The child is 7 mos. old and yet your fears have progressed over the past 1 1/2 yrs?

...removed my comments after reading this poster's comments in another thread...BTW Maxi is a "bio mom" of 4 children ...how many mom's do you know refer to themselves as bio mom?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">