• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets SSDI dependent pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeancollie

What is the name of your state? KY

Hello,

I was just granted SSDI. I have 3 children. All under 18. I haven't filed for their dependent pay yet. I will be doing that soon.

I am divorced from their mother. The children live with me half of the time. I have joint and residential custody. I am not ordered a set child support by the courts. I just have to pay half of their bills. IE. School lunches,Med copays and extracurricular activities like soccer and cheer.

In my case who would receive their dependent pay?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

jeancollie

I would split it no problem. But I am sure the ex would want it all. And SS makes the decision on who gets to be in charge of it.

garrula lingua

Why not have the kids' money be direct deposited into an account for their college fund ?

Both parents keep their hands off the money.

Have the acct co-owner be a third party both parent agree to allow to handle the kids' finances - a trusted grandparent, uncle, godparent, etc.

jeancollie

My kids college are all free. I am also 100% disabled Veteran. So the VA pays for that. I need the money to pay for their everyday needs.

garrula lingua

Then, put in yourself as payee.

The only way Mom is due the money is if child support was ordered or the children reside with Mom.
I'm sure SSDI has their own rules regarding the child's payee - you will find out during the process (you may have to show proof of their residence, going to school, etc)

Mom may petition the FL court to order the pmts be made to her as cs, but until/if there's a court order, it appears the $ should go to you as payee.

There may be a lump sum due you for back payments, also.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">