• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who gets the back child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnyj

What is the name of your state? Fargo, North Dakota
I am a 21 yr old and my father has now just started paying child support (back child support) and my mother is receiving it and she will not give it to me. I also suspect she is using this money to support my brother (keep in mind we have different fathers and his is there with him and my mother). Who is entitled to this money first of all and second of all who do I contact if I am the one who is to receive it? Also, keep in mind that my mother and father where never married and we have never received child support from him as he was in jail and my mother was on welfare.

brisgirl825

You are not entitled to arrears payments. Child support is intended to be a reimbursement for costs associated with raising children. So unless you had a job from birth on, I suspect it was your mother's money that bought you food, clothes, a roof, water...I think you get the point.

justme22

Child support goes to the custodial parent, in your case, your mother. It is to be used to support the child, you. Since she didn't get it when you were growing up, she can now use it to replace what she spent earlier and can in fact use it anyway she wants. Child support does not go to the child.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I can just hear this kid . . .

"Yeah, but I want to buy a car, go to bars, pick up hookers, buy my drugs, and a bunch of other stuff. Man, it's like thousands and thousands!!"

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">