• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NewJackCity

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband and I purchased a used car. His credit was not good, so they used me as the primary person the car's name is in and responsible for (he co-signed as the spouse). We are discussing a separation/divorce now and I do not want the car note. He can have the car but I do not want to be held liable for the payments or be responsible for the car/insurance. We have another car that is paid for and I want that car because there is no car note. Can we change it to where he is responsible for the car and has to make the payments instead of me?

LdiJ

NewJackCity said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband and I purchased a used car. His credit was not good, so they used me as the primary person the car's name is in and responsible for (he co-signed as the spouse). We are discussing a separation/divorce now and I do not want the car note. He can have the car but I do not want to be held liable for the payments or be responsible for the car/insurance. We have another car that is paid for and I want that car because there is no car note. Can we change it to where he is responsible for the car and has to make the payments instead of me?
You can only safely do that if he can refinance the car into just his name. Otherwise, you can put in the agreement that he is responsible for the car, but the note would continue to be in your name and you would still be legally responsible if he defaulted or had an accident. The creditor would not be a party to your divorce and would only be bound by the original loan agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">