• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who handles closing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

visceo

What is the name of your state? Florida

We are buying a rental property. The seller lives in another state & has atty here handling his affairs. We want to close with a Title Company with whom our son-in-law (a mortgage broker) deals. The attorney says we must close with him, even tho closing agent is not specified in the contract. When I asked why that would be he said, "Let me put it this way - close with me, or don't close." Is he right?

JETX

Not really.

Re-read the sales agreement and see if it says who will be the closing agent (or attorney) or if it designates who will decide. If it doesn't, then your response shoud be.... "As the buyer, I will pick the title company and you will accept my wishes.... or I will file a lawsuit and put the property 'on hold' (Lis Pendens) until you decide to quit being a jerk!".

HomeGuru

In addition, tell the jerk that he cannot be the closing attorney because he represents the Seller and as a result has a clear conflict of interest. A closing entity should be an unrelated and disinterested third party.
Then tell him, "Let me put it this way, read your American Bar Association Code of Ethics and Cannons of Profesional Responsiblities".

HomeGuru

HomeGuru said:
In addition, tell the jerk that he cannot be the closing attorney because he represents the Seller and as a result has a clear conflict of interest. A closing entity should be an unrelated and disinterested third party.
Then tell him, "Let me put it this way, read your American Bar Association Code of Ethics and Cannons of Profesional Responsiblities".
Good luck to you.

Signed,

Halket

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">