• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who has the rights to the well?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SueInTexas

What is the name of your state? Texas.

25 years ago a neighbor of mine and I had a well dug on my property for the purpose of watering our lawns. At the time, we were not in city limits and no permits were required. We shared the expense of digging the well and installing the pump.

Over the years my neighbor has never paid for the electricity to run the pump, which I calculate to be around $2000. Too, the original pump was ruined in a flood 12 years ago and my flood insurance paid for the current pump.

My neighbor has been irresponsible about leaving the pump on and/or leaving the valves to his sprinker system on so that there is no pressure for mine. This has gone on for many years. I am finally fed up and want to disconnect him from the well. If we cannot reach a gentleman's agreement, can I just close off his line without his seeking legal retalliation? Or, should I take him to court to get him off of the well? I would really like for him to take the cost of electricity that he owes and dig his own well so that I do not have to be bothered with his irresponsible actions any more.

Thank you,
Sue

HomeGuru

SueInTexas said:
What is the name of your state? Texas.

25 years ago a neighbor of mine and I had a well dug on my property for the purpose of watering our lawns. At the time, we were not in city limits and no permits were required. We shared the expense of digging the well and installing the pump.

Over the years my neighbor has never paid for the electricity to run the pump, which I calculate to be around $2000. Too, the original pump was ruined in a flood 12 years ago and my flood insurance paid for the current pump.

My neighbor has been irresponsible about leaving the pump on and/or leaving the valves to his sprinker system on so that there is no pressure for mine. This has gone on for many years. I am finally fed up and want to disconnect him from the well. If we cannot reach a gentleman's agreement, can I just close off his line without his seeking legal retalliation? Or, should I take him to court to get him off of the well? I would really like for him to take the cost of electricity that he owes and dig his own well so that I do not have to be bothered with his irresponsible actions any more.

Thank you,
Sue

**A: cut off his line or sue, Sue.

Y

yellowduc

How about this?

Sue,
Could you install a valve between his line and the well? Just shut his supply off when you need to use it. If he complains, tell him to be more responsible.

S

SueInTexas

Re: How about this?

yellowduc said:
Sue,
Could you install a valve between his line and the well? Just shut his supply off when you need to use it. If he complains, tell him to be more responsible.
Thank you for the suggestion, but we have been having to close off his valves for 25 years. We just are tired of it. Our lines are on automatic timers and come on at 1:00 a.m. Having to remember to shut off his valves every day is not something we wish to do.

S

SueInTexas

I don't want to do that. It would mean court costs and possibly a lawyer. And what would I sue for? The only monetary consideration is the electrical costs over the years, and we really just want him off the well.

I could get a restraining order to keep him off our property so that he could not turn on the electricity to the pump, but I really would still like to be as neighborly as possible. I don't know why. He sure hasn't been. The last time we locked the switch box, he threatened to have his sons "beat up" my husband!

HomeGuru

SueInTexas said:
I don't want to do that. It would mean court costs and possibly a lawyer. And what would I sue for? The only monetary consideration is the electrical costs over the years, and we really just want him off the well.

I could get a restraining order to keep him off our property so that he could not turn on the electricity to the pump, but I really would still like to be as neighborly as possible. I don't know why. He sure hasn't been. The last time we locked the switch box, he threatened to have his sons "beat up" my husband!

**A: in your very first post you say "Or, should I take him to court.....", and when I say sue, then you don't want to.
So my last and final response to you now is; well don't sue, Sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">