• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable for negligence of improper hestong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

If the OP kept saying (Our heating is costing us a TON), then the LL may well have just blown it off as a whiny tenant who is not used to an old, uninsulated house. However, if the OP said "The heater isn't keeping the house warm", then the LL should have investigated. It sounds to me like the LL investigate once a complaint of lack of proper heating was made, not a complaint about the cost of heating.
I read it originally the same way.

MHiley

Ahh. So the landlord did not address your concerns promptly? I misunderstood.

It would still be difficult to accurately assess your damages. You could ask your landlord to reimburse you for excess heating costs paid because of the poorly-installed furnace but I don’t know how much success you will have.

Good luck.
Thank you for your input. It's a relative...so letting it go

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If the OP kept saying (Our heating is costing us a TON), then the LL may well have just blown it off as a whiny tenant who is not used to an old, uninsulated house. However, if the OP said "The heater isn't keeping the house warm", then the LL should have investigated. It sounds to me like the LL investigate once a complaint of lack of proper heating was made, not a complaint about the cost of heating.
That still could be read as a subjective statement.

It's hard to tell if the person is being reasonable unless they are actually measuring the temperature around the house.

(Oh yes, I know all about drafty, poorly insulated houses that are poorly heated.)

quincy

Just to clarify, it's a one bedroom apartment maybe 350 sq. ft.in a house with another apartment.
The $1200 a month is definitely outrageous for heating that size apartment, even considering that last year was an unusually cold one.

Although you don’t have to press your landlord/relative for a reimbursement of some costs or perhaps a rent discount, it probably wouldn’t hurt to ask for some compensation. If refused, then you can let it go.

The nice thing is that you apparently managed to keep up with all fuel payments. You might feel really rich this year with all of your extra funds not going to heat dirt.

MHiley

The $1200 a month is definitely outrageous for heating that size apartment, even considering that last year was an unusually cold one.

Although you don’t have to press your landlord/relative for a reimbursement of some costs or perhaps a rent discount, it probably wouldn’t hurt to ask for some compensation. If refused, then you can let it go.

The nice thing is that you apparently managed to keep up with all fuel payments. You might feel really rich this year with all of your extra funds not going to heat dirt.
The thing is both my husband and I have or did work for USPS and walked 12 to 16 miles a day and we're in our 50s, and work 10 to 12 hour days, not much time to enjoy the heatless apartment so yes, we're resilient, lol. Not sure if I'm speaking to same individual or not.

MHiley

The thing is both my husband and I have or did work for USPS and walked 12 to 16 miles a day and we're in our 50s, and work 10 to 12 hour days, not much time to enjoy the heatless apartment so yes, we're resilient, lol. Not sure if I'm speaking to same individual or not.
Yes, am already enjoying feeling warm air coming out of the vents for once, actually blowing the curtains too.

MHiley

So true lol. Just glad the LL was visiting and asked why it was so cold. LL checked the thermostat and asked why it was only 57 degrees? Umm..because that's as warm as it gets in here...been telling you...brrr. Now, I'm enjoying a balmy 62 hahaha. Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">