• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davep1967

Ohio: My girfriend lives in an appartment building that has a heavy metal door (no windows), solid walls (no windows), that seperate the lobby and the four appartments on her floor.

Last week she was leaving her appartment, and she opened this door, unaware that her elderly neighbor was on the other side of the door, just about to put her key in the key hole to come in. The result was, the elderly lady was knocked down and she suffered a broken wrist.

A lawyer representing the apartment complex called and left my girlfriend a message saying that she "needs to file a claim with her renter's insurance for this", and he wants to talk to her about the incident.

I am no lawyer, but I would think that what I found on this site about "slip and falls" would apply:

"Property owners are responsible for injuries that occur as a result of a dangerous or hazardous condition on their property, which the owner knew about, or should have known about."

My opinion is they should have known that this is an "accident waiting to happen". You can't tell if someone is behind the door when you open it. Espicially elderly people who do not move that fast.

Should my girlfriend talk to the appartment complex lawyer?
Should she get a lawyer???
She does not have renter's insurance either.

The lady that was hurt is not upset with my girlfriend and has said "There should be windows in those doors"

Thanks for all your opinions.. :)

S

smariel

Renters Insurance

I am a renter myself, but the only advice i have for your girlfriend is this... GET RENTERS INSURANCE...NOW! Most people don't get it until it's too late, they've been robbed, someone gets hurt on their property, etc. It really is a small fee when you think of all the items that would need to be replaced should something happen! For example - I have full coverage and pay only $140 a year. My tv costs more than that!

I'm sorry I couldn't help you with the "accident" part, but renters insurance is something I feel very strongly about. There are many other experienced people on this site that I'm sure will have wonderful advice for you.

Take care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">