• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for Phone line "repair"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrenjosh

What is the name of your state? OK

I recently moved out of an apt for only 6 weeks. After the 6 weeks I moved back to the same apt. For the last month I have had lots of trouble getting phone service. The phone company I chose told me it would be a week at most before I got a dial-tone. I waited the week and I still had no dial tone. I called the phone company and they told me that there was some problem with my phone lines, i.e, my serice was active with no dial-tone. So I got maintence to look at my jacks because I thought that in the process of repainting they may have been damaged. The maintence guys said everything checked out. I called the phone company back 2 more times and they told me the same thing, and 2 more times maintence came out and said that there was no problem. I then talked to the apt manager and asked if they could check for a dial tone at the outside box. They said they didn't own this and that they didn't have anybody with proper training to fix it anyways. I disputed the fact that they didn't own the phone lines inside my apt because the phone company said that my apt does own all the phone lines.

So.... Somebody has to own these phone lines. Who is responsible for the upkeep and repair of the phone lines between the phone jack and outside?

HomeGuru

wrenjosh said:
What is the name of your state? OK

I recently moved out of an apt for only 6 weeks. After the 6 weeks I moved back to the same apt. For the last month I have had lots of trouble getting phone service. The phone company I chose told me it would be a week at most before I got a dial-tone. I waited the week and I still had no dial tone. I called the phone company and they told me that there was some problem with my phone lines, i.e, my serice was active with no dial-tone. So I got maintence to look at my jacks because I thought that in the process of repainting they may have been damaged. The maintence guys said everything checked out. I called the phone company back 2 more times and they told me the same thing, and 2 more times maintence came out and said that there was no problem. I then talked to the apt manager and asked if they could check for a dial tone at the outside box. They said they didn't own this and that they didn't have anybody with proper training to fix it anyways. I disputed the fact that they didn't own the phone lines inside my apt because the phone company said that my apt does own all the phone lines.

So.... Somebody has to own these phone lines. Who is responsible for the upkeep and repair of the phone lines between the phone jack and outside?

**A: landlord owns the lines from the phone co. termination point into and in the building

wrenjosh

is there some kind of legal doc you can point me to that proves this? My landlord is very adamant about her not owning that.

HomeGuru

wrenjosh said:
is there some kind of legal doc you can point me to that proves this? My landlord is very adamant about her not owning that.

**A; sure, get a statement in wrting from the telephone company confirming their ownership of the lines, exact location of stoppage and where the proper owner's line starts.
Then if that's not enough, copy the OK real property laws.

BL

You say a maintenance checked your inside phone lines , and it was OK .

What maintenance ? Property maintanance or Phone Co. Maintainance ?

The fact is , the lines leading to the Property are the Phone Companies .

The lines from that point on are the Subscribers responsibility . The Phone Co. will repair them for a Fee .

wrenjosh

My apartment manager claims that the only thing they are responsible for are the phone jacks.

Last edited:

BL

Well maybe they hooked it up wrong , but if the other jack didn't work , then the Phone Co. needs to ck. it out , they are the professionals .

If the phone Co. determines the Apt. maintenance somehow damaged the inside lines/jacks , whatever , get a statement from the Phone Co. repairman to that Fact , and submit the bill to Management , otherwise pay the Phone Co. to repair it right .

wrenjosh

Sounds like a plan.... Well I don't know what could have happened in 6 weeks but let's hope I'm not responsible ofr it. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">