• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who is responsible for water and sewer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jgexplor

I am currently renting one side of a Duplex in Pennsylvania. Our next door neighbors just moved out in August, they lived there for over 5 years. Recently they were contacted by our Landlord about paying the water and sewer bill. The Landlord stated over the phone that he is a procrastinator and kept forgetting to send them the bill every quarter. So he is now sending them the water and sewer bill for the last FIVE years. The bill is in the landlords name and sent to his address. He has been making the payment each quarter.

My wife and I have been living there for almost Four years now and we have yet to recieve a water/sewer bill from him.
I am worried that we will be getting a bill for reimbursement for the last four years.

What liability do I have to pay the bill and can he expect me to pay for the last 4 years when i never received any reciept for reimbursement. Can he send a collection agency after us for the money? We plan on buying a house by spring 2001 and dont need any bad marks showing up on our credit.

thanks,

concerned from PA

D

David J. Miller

Are you on a fixed lease and does that lease indicate you are responsible to pay for water and sewer?

HomeGuru

Adding to what David wrote, if your lease makes you responsible then youmust pay. Even if it was 4-5 years go.

J

jgexplor

In the lease there is a section that states that the Landlord will be responsible for property taxes and water/sewer. BUT there is an X over the water/sewer. It is not initialed by him or us. there are other areas of the lease which are x'd out and he initialed them in from of us when we signed the lease.

i thought that the water/sewer was included in the rent amount, since we were never billed for it.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

There were errors in executing the lease agreement - this is the stuff of lawsuits. It happens either because attorneys weren't used or attorneys were not careful enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">