• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is the client?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevo21

This is in Columbus, OH. I have recently been notified that someone was arrested in my name (stolent Identity) in Ohio for DUI. He hired counsel in my name, using my SSN, address, DOB, etc. I have contacted the attorney, and he claims privilege. If this is my name, etc., am I not the client. I am the person the State has sent a letter to, as well as contacted, so therefore the charges are against me. Also, what recourse do I have if any against this firm. Do they have an obligation to insure they are representing who they say they are?

rmet4nzkx

Have you reported the identity theft or done anything to fix the problem. Do you have fingerprints on file anywhere, at least a thumb print to prove who you are? That should at least prove quickly that you are not the person they arrested. You have a lot of work to do. Call the local bar association and see what the attorney's obligations are in this instance once he knows his client has committed identity theft. This is by no means all you will have to do but a start.

JETX

"I have contacted the attorney, and he claims privilege. If this is my name, etc., am I not the client."
*** No, you are NOT his client.

"I am the person the State has sent a letter to, as well as contacted, so therefore the charges are against me."
*** In essence that is true, however, you did NOT hire the attorney, so the attorney has no obligation to represent, or provide information to, you.

"Also, what recourse do I have if any against this firm."
*** None.

"Do they have an obligation to insure they are representing who they say they are?"
*** To the best of their ability, yes.

At this point, you are misdirecting your efforts. You need to contact the prosecutor in the county where the charges were brought (if they haven't already contacted you) and make sure that any charges pending in your name are resolved. Quit looking for a way to profit from this and resolve it.

K

kevo21

First of all JETX...

I am not looking to profit from this. I have no intention on bringing a suit against the firm. I want to know what I can do to prevent this from happening to me or YOU for that matter in the future. The paralegal at the firm told me this happens everyday. That is a travesty. In this day and age where people hide their identities and crash planes into buildings, you would think that organizations dealing with criminals would do a better job of making sure the people they represent are who they say they are. My efforts are not misdirected. I have already filed a criminal complaint against the person who did this. The Ohio Highway Patrol arrested him with NO ID, and never ran his prints. He was also arrested on a drug charge along with the DUI. He has warrants in Indiana. We are supposed to be at an ELEVATED state of alert. That is mostly for law enforcement. They took a convicted felon at his word and never checked it out. They did not know he was felon since they never investigated it. The only way I found out about the charges was through a collection agency that was trying to collect on court costs. You cannot possibly think this firm did it's job. If they do not have a responisbility to do background on their clients, they should. This guy walked into the office, with cash, and no ID, and they took the money and ran with it. What a joke. The police and the firm enabled this to happen. They are responisible for him being on the loose now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">